Chapter 25 - Haven

"Well, are you missing anyone, or not?" Anira prompted, when no one answered her.

The party shared looks of mingled hope and dread. Sevhalim cleared his throat and spoke with a cautious, neutral tone.

"We have lost one of our number recently, yes," he said.

"Big fellow, dark skin?"

Zenír gasped.

"Don't get too excited," Anira cautioned, raising her hands. "He's not in good shape. We found him half-drowned, floating downstream of the falls. He's badly injured. Our healers have done what they can, but they're surprised he's lasted as long as he has. Rather than a joyful reunion, you may merely be in time for a second goodbye."

"Bring us to him, please," Zenír said imploringly. "We would see him either way."

Nodding, Anira beckoned for them to follow her.

"We must bring your other friend, here, to the healing house, anyway," she said, nodding at Obi. "For him, at least, I think we have a remedy. He is not the first to suffer the bite of a barrowling."

Hardly daring to hope, the group followed her and the two men bearing Obi's stretcher down a winding path leading into the small, bowl-like valley below. Arched bridges spanned small streams, and graceful trees, stone gardens, and gravity-fed fountains lined the way. A pleasant breeze stirred the leaves, carrying the scents of warm stone and fragrant vegetation.

Not every scent was pleasant, though, and as they crossed a little stream with strangely colorful banks, a smell like rotten eggs stung Galen's nose.

Behn grimaced and swished his hand in front of his face. "Urgh. Okay, just gonna say that wasn't me."

"It is not anyone; it is sulfur," Anira said. "Some of the pools and streams here are rich with it; and while it may smell unpleasant, we find it to be quite beneficial for the skin. I will show you the bathing pools later. But here is our healing house."

She stopped before a long, low structure with many arches and a long colonnade. Inside, an open space spanned the length of the building, with arched doorways leading to private chambers on either side. It reminded Galen of an especially stylish and luxurious stable. A tall, lean man with a neatly trimmed beard dressed in a simple robe approached them, bearing a bowl and a bundle of cloth. He looked up as he drew near and frowned.

"What's this, Ani? Another one? Are strangers falling from the skies these days?"

"They are all part of the same shower, it seems," she answered. "The man of the falls is one of their own. How fares he?"

The bearded man shook his head as he looked the newcomers over with a frown. "His injuries lie within," he said, tapping the side of his head. "I have done all I can. The rest is for time and fate to decide."

"Not if Galen has anything to say about it," Behn said confidently, but Sev cast him a quelling glance.

"Who or what is Galen?" the man asked.

"I am," said he, stepping forward a little. "I have... some skill at healing."

The man looked him up and down skeptically. "Have you trained at the College of Medicine in Naqqir? Served as the Queen of Yuthraka's personal physician? Operated a field hospital in the very midst of battle?"

"No, I haven't," Galen admitted.

"Well, I have. So you may trust me when I say there is no more to be done."

The man turned away, directing the two carrying Obi's stretcher to place him in one of the nearby rooms for treatment.

Galen surprised himself as he spoke up once more.