chapter sixteen.

ONE YEAR AGO

ONE YEAR AGO

November 1st.

I was preparing myself to walk into Mr.Baliey's classroom, knowing that I was late - something that he always complained about it. " You're late, Miss. Mayfield. ", He spoke in a snobby voice. " Define late. ", I chuckled nervously. I felt the desire to run out the class feeling the eyes of my classmates on me, god, this was embarrassing.

" You have detention after school, and bring some work to do. "

yippee.

" So, after school I was thinking we could work on the suit some more. ", Dustin said, munching down on his apple as we roamed the halls during our lunch break. I sighed, " I can't, I have detention after school. "

He shrieked, " You're kidding ?! " I shaked my head, " I'm not kidding, Dustin. Mr. Bailey is a dick. " He frowned, " How am I going to get it done without you ? "

I pulled a piece of folded paper out my back pocket. " Here I finished sketching out the rest of the suit. Think you could do that ? "

" Yeah I can do that, how much you paying ?", He retorted. " I'm not paying you, dip shit. Technically this was your idea. ", I said, side eyeing him.

" Relax. I'll be honored to be your personal designer, for free, of course. "

I groan, throwing my head back, waiting for detention to be over with

I groan, throwing my head back, waiting for detention to be over with. Mrs. Smith snored louder than Neil did, which absolutely drove me insane. My stomach grumbled out out of hunger, and my mind traveled to the thought of the vending machine.

There was only ten more minutes, it wouldn't hurt if I skipped the rest, right ?

I grabbed the bag of skittles out the vending machine, licking the corner of my lips. " Max, could you help me carrying these  boxes ?! ", Nancy shouted.

I was bit confused she was still here after hours. " Nancy ? Why are you still here ? ", I asked taking the boxes from her hands. She shot me a look, " Okay, it took me five minutes to pick all three of those up, and you did it without any effort. Starting to think I should go to the gym more. ", She ranted, letting out a deep sigh.

I chuckled, " So, you still work on the school's newspaper ? " She brushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear, " Yeah, I sorta didn't get into the college I was planning on. "

" What ? ", I sat the boxes on the table. " Yeah, something about my application being too much for their liking. ", she shrugged. " That's bullshit. You're like super smart, and totally badass. "

" Well according to them, I'm not. So, I'm being paid to do this, and I'm also working on a book, maybe I can get it published. ", She stated. I nodded, understanding. " Oh, and how have you been ? I haven't seen you around in awhile. I heard what happened - "

" It's fine, I'm fine, everything is great. "