٦

As the night fell, it found Hanadi preparing for the masked ball, she wore her beautiful, long dress and let her black hair down. She walked to her wardrobe and took out a small wooden box, it was icy cold upon her palms. Inside, there was the silver necklace with the black pendant that her great-grandmother adored all her life. She promised her father to wear it on a special occasion and of course on the day she was going to get betrothed.

There wasn't much time left, she had to go downstairs and greet the guests but before that, she wanted to take a look at the night sky that she loved so much. Into the black heavens, upon the clear night, came the grace of white-gold moon. Hanadi had a strange feeling that night, a tightness in her chest, a numbness in her hands, she thought that it was her anxiousness.

Hanadi clutched her chest as she felt excruciating pain spreading inside her body, numbing her limbs. She fell onto the armchair near her bedroom's window and frantically wished that more air could fill her lungs. She got up and shifted from foot to foot trying to stop trembling. It didn't work. She spoke to herself calmly "You can do this," which made it even worse. She'd rather yell at this point.

She calmed herself down and walked towards the bedroom door, as soon as her palm touched the door knob that's when she saw it. Black smoke twirled heavenward as if it was taking the soul of Hanadi, it was spreading all around her, making tears run from her eyes. A living cloud of black smoke that whispered Hanadi's name and made the blood run cold inside her.

"Those who are cold within, who let their love wither and die, are dead." it whispered inside her mind as if they were one, as if the smoke had penetrated every single cell of her body. Hanadi frantically searched for a way to make the smoke go away, she screamed with all her might, it was an albeit one dressed up as the horror movie version. She firmly closed her eyes and fell on the floor, tears came as if, at long last, the accumulated ocean of brine was trickling through.

Suddenly, a strong gust of wind opened Hanadi's window to allow the cold wind rush through and forcefully chase away the black smoke. Hanadi screamed. The blood ran from her face as she collapsed fully to the floor, her skin burning.

"Darkness," she mumbled, there's nothing else it could be. "Nothing moves like that," she took a moment, her mind had been busy replaying the scene in slow motion. She touched her arm and felt it burning under her fingertips, it seemed as if her skin was going to melt and fall down. It was true torture. Just like that, as if nothing had happened the pain slowly went away and her bedroom looked exactly the same.

She slowly got up and hesitated touching the door knob but eventually she touched it, nothing happened this time so she walked out and started walking down the stairs. She could hear the music which synchronized with her fast heartbeat. The celebration had raised the ambient soul of the community to a broad shared smile. Hanadi saw colors, women with beautiful dresses dancing along with men. She put on a smile and walked towards her father whose eyes were searching the crowd for her.

"Finally," he sighed relieved and took her by the hand. "Let me introduce you to Adil Saeed, a wonderful man, a warrior of the palace."

"My princess," he bowed and kissed her hand with such delicacy. "If a beautiful woman is a jewel, then why do you look like a treasure my princess," he smiled and locked eyes with Hanadi. He wore a plain black mask with golden lines on it but she could easily recognize his face. He had short brown hair and brown eyes. People often speak of the colour of eyes, as if that were of importance, yet his would be beautiful in any shade. From them came an intensity, an honesty, gentleness.

"You have your noble ways," she smiled but her father interrupted them.

"We have urgent matters to discuss later."

"Father, perhaps I can be part of the discussion since I am the heiress of the kingdom now, I need to know the problems of my people and my homeland," she carefully chose her words and looked deeply in her father's eyes.

"I don't think a princess should worry about her homeland, that's why we are here my lady," Adil spoke with such bravery and confidence, he seemed so sure about himself, almost as if he was already the chosen husband.

"And I don't think you should speak without being spoken to. This is my kingdom and you are a guest," Hanadi's eyes were on fire as she spoke firmly and tried establishing her rightful place in the palace.

"Really my lady princes," he bowed slightly, wearing an expression of arrogant mockery. Adil looked down as if taken aback, then smiled. His smile was good-natured. "I am sorry Hanadi, I didn't mean to offend you,"he bowed slightly again.

"Let's go," her father's voice interrupted their intense gaze. He walked in the middle of the ballroom and attracted everyone's attention with a single clap of his hands. He cleared his throat and started speaking.

"My daughter, the heiress of this kingdom is now of age. The man she loves, the man of her choice and mine, will be your true future king. The good king thus becomes my son, a son in full measure and with the protection of the divine God. With him always she will be, his good queen, Hanadi. Together they will achieve more than either ever could by themselves. Let the dance begin," her father spoke proudly and smiled at his people, searching for their support. His smile grew wider as voices and claps filled the room, a loud applause for the king of Al-Qureya.