٢

As the years passed and Hanadi's family ruled the kingdom of Al Qureya, they brought nothing but prosperity to the people who lived there. The kingdom had been at peace with the remaining nine kingdoms, Oterean, Zilux, Unudal, Nator, Gawen, Drezia, Khoseon, Nurith and at last, Udasian. Hanadi's father was known to be a kind and an intelligent soul who loved the kingdom from the earth to the skies and every part of creation within, all creatures great and small.

Hanadi learned to love her people as well following her father's footsteps and she always tried helping them in any way she could. She grew up with the belief that giving to the poor would help the natural world thrive and survive. She believed in community and that love was more important than riches on Earth. She occasionally run in the town to meet Azim, he was the servant of the palace and he had grown to be close to her heart, he had become her best friend.

It was so hard for her to spend time with Azim as she got older, especially now that she was coming of age, after all she was the heiress of the kingdom of Al Qureya, she couldn't be seen with a servant. Hanadi was an unmarried young woman from the noblest family, she couldn't be compromised and lose her reputation with such actions but she was always so happy when she got a chance to speak with Azim.

She couldn't possibly forget the first time that he came to the palace and she laid eyes on him, she was only ten years old and he was fourteen. Memories of meeting him had become the same as a dream. He taught her all kinds of interesting things about the world, horses, he even spent all his evenings teaching her how to fight properly.

Upon that wintry day, amid the brown hues of the trees, Hanadi steadily walked down the road with her father's words playing on repeat in her mind "A lady has integrity for she holds herself true to both inner truth and the higher power of our creator. Her femininity exists in her will to nurture, to bring health and kindness. Beyond this, a lady can be anything her talents and heart lead her towards but she must keep herself for her future husband."

She walked past the bakery and continued down the path that would lead to her favorite place, the lake. These days were calmer for her, now that she had mastered the art of having a clear brain, the serenity of feeling her own intelligence rather than tiring herself with unresolved thoughts, she could see far more clearly, yet rather through her senses than her eyes, a sort of thinking without words.

Upon arriving, he saw Azim sitting comfortably on the grass with his horse by his side and smiled sweetly.

"Sorry I wasn't able to come sooner."

"I get it," he smiled as they sat silently for a while. Azim looked pensively at the water. It was as if the colours and the sounds, the bustle and the quiet space, were a million weaved moments both transient and real.

"Azim I am afraid that the time is coming, I overheard my parents talking about it," she looked uncomfortably at him.

Azim got up and paced up and down until he stopped right before Hanadi and offered her his hand. His hands were rough but they had a softness on them. Rough hands, soft heart, naked soul, that's how he was in front of Hanadi. They started walking together while holding hands, carefully avoiding using the main path which was filled with the eyes of the town.

The land was a million hues of brown, more than Hanadi's eyes could detect, yet they were there. The differences were magnified by the moisture, variation on variation. Mingled in were some stones, adding their greys beneath her small feet. The trees were khaki, kissed with moss. Deep down Hanadi and Azim knew that the happiness they felt together was forbidden.

"I will take part in the wrestling competition," he said and let go of her hand. "Will you be there?" his eyes glistened with hope.

"I will be, you know it," she replied and left, she took the path leading straight to the center of the town. There was a question rising inside her and it felt as if several hours had passed and she still had no answer. What would happen next? Hanadi looked desperately at the people passing next to her searching for an answer. It was hopeless. She looked up, time had passed and the moon had started appearing on the sky.

She soon reached the palace without realizing, as soon as she entered she found her father sitting on his desk which was piled with papers and notes. He muttered to himself in frustration without noticing his daughter, crumpling another sheet of paper in his fist. Closing his eyes, he tried to pull himself together, but his despair was stronger than his willpower.

"Father, what's going on?" she knew she wasn't supposed to disturb him but there was clearly something wrong.

Upon noticing her he slammed his fist on the desk in frustration, knocking over a mug. Hanadi took a few steps back as she continued staring at him in disbelief, she had never seen him like that her whole life. The papers that flew around him and scattered on the floor left her father unmoved. Hanadi leaned forward and caught a paper that fell on her feet. She started reading "We have a very good reason to believe that we are under attack, we do not know what it is but it's coming for you too. We've never seen such cruelty, such darkness before. Beware."

"Father..," she gasped with fear. It was a letter from the kingdom next to theirs.

"I am afraid that war is coming and I don't think I can prevent it Hanadi," the fire and confidence that were once burning in his eyes were now gone. "Hanadi you'll soon be old enough to understand the matters of this kingdom but in order for you to do that we must find your match, a decent husband."

"But f-father..," she hesitated and didn't finish her sentence. The disappointment arrived as a sadness. It was a grief, an ending, yet in time she knew it would pass, in time her soul could begin to hope for something real, lasting and secure. She needed to believe that she would be able to choose her beloved. Her sadness was replaced by anger as she kept looking at her father. In an abrupt move she turned around and rushed to her room.

As soon as she entered she run in front of her mirror, she often smiled at her reflection but not today. She threw her arms frantically in the air in an attempt to unwind her anger. She hated that her only job was to be pretty and most of all, silent. Her mind raced to the letter she read, she couldn't believe that war was really coming. What would become of them?

She once again looked at her reflection perplexed and a question rose inside her "What if another kingdom was trying to cause a war?" she believed that for one kingdom to control another for their own selfish purpose, through war or intellectual domination, was a form of barbarism. They had been given the divine gift of prosperity and peace. Who would want to ruin that?

She walked towards her bed and laid down, a warm place to dream. It was the safe harbour from which her soul played with the black heavens, communicating in the language of the stars and feeling the sweetness of the soul-ether. Soon she found herself in the dream land she so longed for.