all that you hope for, you hope for today

"What is it?"

"Tink said it was a Wendy Bird."

"It's a Jennie Bird."

"But it looks like a girl."

"What did you do?"

Jennie wearily blinked her eyes open, eyes adjusting to the light in the room until she could make out the shapes leaning over her. Young boys. A searing pain in her chest. She groaned, and Lisa, still young and hands still small, came into view.

"Little Bird, you're awake," Lisa smiled, then frowned again with a shake of her head. "No, you're not awake."

Jennie opened her mouth to talk but no words came out. She tried to move but felt absolutely paralyzed.

"Wake up," little Lisa whispered. "Jennie, wake up."

Startling awake, Jennie grasped for the first thing she saw, which after a blink of her eyes she realized was Lisa. Adult Lisa. Her Lisa. The soft feeling of Lisa's henley under her fingers, a strong hand cupping her cheek. Jennie groaned and let her eyes flutter shut again for a moment. It must have been a dream. Was getting shot a dream? A dull throb at her side told her that was definitely not a dream.

Opening her eyes again, Jennie noticed a few more heads had popped into view. Rachel, Jisoo and Jeremy were all looking down at her too.

"She's prettier when she's not snoring," Rachel said, with a tilt of her head.

Jennie sat up quickly, head a little light. "Hey!"

"Ssh, it's okay, baby, you're pretty when you snore too," Lisa smiled, clearly not catching on to why Jennie was upset about the snoring comment. "How are you feeling?"

"Okay? I think?" Jennie looked down at her side, shirt stained with blood but a bandage apparent under that.

"Rosie patched you up. She's the best healer in Neverland," Lisa said. "We got all the poison out of you."

"Poison?" Jennie paled.

Jeremy piped up, excitement in his voice making it crack. "Yeah! We milked some pixies for their poison and then dipped the arrows in it to-"

Lisa shot him a look and he snapped his mouth shut. She looked back at Jennie. "The point is, you're fine now. And the Lost Boys apologize for shooting you. Again."

"You looked suspicious," Rachel shrugged.

"She did," Robin said from a corner.

"Hey, does that mean Jennie is part pixie now?" Jisoo asked.

"No," Jeremy frowned. "I don't think."

"Are you sure you're okay, baby?" Lisa said softly.

Jennie finally looked down and noticed she was on some kind of thin mattress and the walls around her looked like wood, but not smooth finished wood. It looked like she was inside of a tree? The room was circular with a high ceiling, and there was a window above the bed. Jennie got to her knees to look out of it and only saw branches.

"We're in a tree," she breathed.

"Yeah, it's where we live," Lisa said. "You don't remember anything, do you?"

"Not really," Jennie said, sitting back down on the bed. She frowned over at Jisoo. "Do you?"

"Yeah, turns out my tattoo is super accurate. Whoever said getting a tattoo while drunk was a bad idea was full of shit," Jisoo chuckled.

"Does Mama?"

"Some things," Jisoo shrugged. "She's downstairs probably adopting Rosie as her new daughter as we speak, so... Can we get to the battle plan please? I'm getting antsy."