in a place so far away

Start from the beginning

"What's a looney bin?" Lisa asked.

Jisoo sighed and used her finger to stir Lisa's drink, pulling it out and sucking it clean in her mouth before wiping her hand on her pants. Jennie's nose crinkled in disgust but Lisa didn't seem to mind as Jisoo handed her the cup.

"The looney bin is where they dragged me off to when I was fourteen and wouldn't stop talking about...well, talking about you. And Neverland," Jisoo said. "It's...not a great place, Lis. Lots of fun childhood trauma layered on top of more childhood drama. Definitely didn't fuck me up at all."

Jennie's heart ached every time she thought about Jisoo in the asylum. Alone and afraid. It hurt even more now seeing the proof of what everyone had always considered a product of Jisoo's mental illness in front of her eyes. Jennie's throat closed up and she poured herself a shot of whiskey.

"I'm sorry," Lisa said softly.

"Eh, made me the badass bitch I am today. Trust issues and all," Jisoo winked at Lisa and nodded towards her drink. "Here. Get that sad puppy dog look off your face and drink that on up."

Lisa lifted the cup to her eye level. "Why is it black? It looks like swamp water."

"It's basically just sugar," Jennie said. "Probably the sweetest thing on Earth."

Lisa smirked. "I think you're probably sweeter."

Jennie's cheeks warmed and she forced her smile to morph into a frown. "Just eat your food before it gets cold."

Lisa cautiously lifted the cup, but as soon as the soda touched her lips, she basically started chugging. "Gee whiz this is good," she said as soon as she came up for air.

Jisoo snorted. "Gee whiz? Really? What fucking year is this. Say 'shit' like everyone else."

Jennie giggled and watched as Lisa picked up a fry to take a bite. Her eyes got wide and she shoveled another one in her mouth.

"These are good too," Lisa reached for another sip of her drink and then went for the hamburger.

"Here, the fries will be even better with this," Jennie took a bottle of ketchup and squirted some on Lisa's plate. Lisa took a big bite out of her burger, frowning in contemplation as she chewed.

"I mostly like this," Lisa said. "But there's something-" She looked down at her burger and pulled out a pickle slice. She sniffed it before crinkling her nose and tossing it to the plate. "Those are gross."

Jennie rolled her eyes. "Noted."

It was far more amusing than it should have been to watch Lisa dip a fry into the ketchup, a glob of the condiment dripping off the end, before shoving it into her mouth with a moan. "Go—Shit that's good."

Jennie blushed, not used to the language coming from Lisa's lips, and smiled. "Glad you like it. Also with you shoveling that food away, it means that whatever alcohol Jisoo put in your Coke probably won't affect you. Win win."

"Lame!" Jisoo said through a mouthful of hamburger. "Don't worry, Lisa, we'll get you drunk later. Pick you up something fruity and gross. You'll like that."

"Do not get her drunk, Jisoo," Jennie said firmly. "We should ease her into that."

Jisoo scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"This food is really good, Jen," Lisa said with her same excited smile. Jennie noticed a bit of ketchup on the corner of her mouth and giggled. "Did you make it?"

"No, I just ordered it for you," Jennie smiled and gestured towards her mouth. "You've got ketchup..." Lisa wiped at her chin with her thumb but missed the ketchup entirely. "No, there." Lisa made another attempt at wiping it but still managed to miss. "Just, here-"