Raven's Birthday

The next couple weeks were busy ones for Raven. On top of all her teaching responsibilities, she had a busy social life. Her family and Charlie of course but also the occasional invitation to tea from one of the teachers. She tried to accept as many as she could. Talking with Gizem could be challenging. She seemed a bit... obscure sometimes. Perhaps it was because she taught The Study of Ancient Runes. Hardwin was Gizem's favorite subject of conversation. Raven discovered he lost his eye from an encounter with a Graphorn, an extremely aggressive beast found in mountainous European regions. On another visit, she learned Hardwin left his job at Durmstrang because he never felt accepted there since his mother was a Muggle from India. Raven received frequent invitations from Professor Flitwick. He asked a lot of questions about Lyra but was also interested in Raven's childhood in France. His description of Voldemort's return and the war at Hogwarts was fascinating since it was from an entirely different perspective. He was a hero as well but always played down his part. Her favorite staff visits were with Neville. His wealth of information about plants was helpful to her research, and she was always impressed by his thoughtfulness.

Raven was becoming quite close to Draco. They would frequently stay up late talking. When he told her what Voldemort had made him to do, she was horrified but tried to hide her feelings. He needed to feel he could talk freely without worrying he was upsetting someone. His guilt over what he was forced to do made him worry he was a coward — or worse. It wasn't something he could talk to his parents about because it made them feel guilty and upset. Astoria was a great comfort and had brought him out of the depression he was in after the war but her sensitive heart couldn't take the details. She was upset for weeks after some of the things he told her. Raven talked him through other options he had and if that would have changed anything. He realized it wouldn't have, except he'd probably be dead now. She pointed out he probably saved Harry's life when he refused to confirm it was him after Harry's face was distorted by a stinging jinx. It also spoke to his character that he couldn't kill Professor Dumbledore even though it could have cost him his life as well as his parent's. He was always more upbeat after one of their talks.

When there was time to do research, she focused entirely on the antidote for the music box curse. The poor people who had been cursed several weeks ago were still in St. Mungo's. It was frustrating to have so little time to work on it. Sometimes, she thought about Charlie's invitation to go to Romania. It would give her a lot more time to do research, and they were becoming closer than she had ever imagined.

________

This Saturday was Raven's birthday. She was looking forward to it even though it would be the first one without Lyra. Narcissa had invited her to dinner and an invitation was sent to Charlie and Dilly as well. Dilly hated to miss Raven's birthday celebration but she was horrified at the idea of sitting at a table with witches and wizards. "I woulds not be able to holds my head up with the other elves!" she declared. Raven suggested she could sit against the wall. Dilly decided that would be okay when Raven was opening her presents but she would eat dinner in the kitchen. Dilly wanted to make the cake as she had every year for her birthday so Raven let Narcissa know.

When it was time to get dressed for the party, Raven picked out black palazzo pants and a form-fitting cream cashmere top. A mallard blue jacket completed the outfit. The only jewelry she wore were sapphire earrings. They were a gift from Lyra and she wanted to honor her on this special day. She used her talent as a Metamorphmagus to turn her hair dark blue. The soft waves shimmered in the candlelit bedroom. Chit flew to her shoulder and began preening her hair. It was her highest compliment.

Dilly appeared, carrying a basket containing the precious birthday cake. Her face was flushed and her hair and toga were in disarray.

"Is everything okay, Dilly?" Raven said.