Chapter 9: Alexios

Start from the beginning

I decided then that I would not expose his behavior in case he truly would be in danger but I felt that I deserved to at least find out why I was being subjected to such scorn.

When I was finally ready to eat, my meal had gotten cold but it did the job. I returned to my room and vowed to make time to investigate the enigma that was the boy from tonight.

The day went the same as yesterday. Training with Blake, learning supernatural history from Ishan, and some battle strategies with Amara. Although today, at dinner, I did some research.

"Hey, do you guys know any guys with black hair and blue eyes?"

"The only I know isn't someone worthy of discussing," Amara said.

"So you know him, can you just tell me about him?" 

"Why are you so curious?" Blake asked this time.

I would have said not to answer a question with another question but I really wanted an answer so I responded. "I met him last night, I had dinner late. He was-" I then remembered he said he would get punished for his behaviour, he was rude but with these people, I was worried about what punishment might entail.

"He seemed very guarded around me–not in a rude way, but just very unwilling to talk." I amended.

"Fine, it's not like you shouldn't know. You'll rule our coven soon so you should know these kinds of things." Blake conceded.  "He doesn't really have a name but we just refer to him as the son of the leader of the Black moon pack. He was taken by Rosalie at 2 years old in retaliation for their betrayal."

"What betrayal?" I asked

"His father and Rosalie were both on the supernatural council but he made the vote to get her taken off of it and it passed. Rosalie got pissed and wanted revenge. Anyway, he was raised to be a soldier and gets sent on missions. He's one of the strongest people here."

"Why doesn't he run away then? He must want to leave since he was taken."

"They use wolfsbane and silver to keep him from acting out."

Hearing about these situations really reminds me of what a horrible person my mother was—how horrible everyone here is. Poor guy.

"Don't feel too bad though, he's distant to all of us and I doubt he even remembers his family now." Amara reassured me.

That night, I decided I would go back to talk to him. Once again, I pushed the tall, dark doors open. He was the only one there. I walked up to the table and sat in front of him.

"Hello,"

"I was surprised to find out that I was not going to be whipped for my transgression of disrespecting the princess." He said, not looking up from his food.

"I didn't tell on you but I did do some research. Your father is the leader of the black moon pack, right?" He did not respond, but I decided to just assume that was a yes.

"You want to escape, right?" No response again.

"Your family kidnapped my father, if you can get your family to release him to me, I will help you return home."

"How do I know you're not lying? You could always tell the elders and get me punished."

"Fair, but I didn't tell them about your behaviour yesterday." He still didn't look totally convinced. "If it makes you feel better, I'm not a vampire, I'm a witch.  And because of that, I can cast a spell that binds us to a promise. Whoever breaks it without permission from the other dies."

He looked around, possibly trying to make sure no one is here to bust us. "Fine, tell me the full plan and maybe I'll help you."

"Great." I went over my plan. He would become my personal guard and help train me, in return I would look for escape routes and remove the wolfsbane and silver. Once he escapes, he will go with my aunt to his pack and convince them to release my dad.

"I'm fine with your plan, so cast the spell." I ran to my room to get my grimoire and read the spell.

"On the lives of Valerie Smith and-" I paused, "What's your name?"

A pause.  "I don't have one, at least, as far as I know.  The only 'name' I have is my number and I doubt that would work."

"Fine, blood can do." I pulled out a parchment and knife, sliced my palm, and watched the blood bubble up from the seams. I squeezed my hand over the paper before handing the knife to the boy. He did the same and our blood meshed wine red on wine red.

"On the lives of the people whose blood lies on this paper, they agree to the clauses. Valerie will free the person whose blood is on this parchment. The person whose blood is on this parchment will save Valerie's father. If they succeed the parchment will vanish, however, if they fail, the perpetrator will burn to ash."

When I turned to look at him, he looked slightly scared. "What?"

"Did you have to make the penalty so harsh?"

"It's better to make the penalty gruesome than have someone break it and then the victim has to suffer," I explained. "Anyway, I think we should give you a nickname. I can't just keep calling you 'he', it's rude."

"No, I don't want us getting closer than necessary."

"Listen," I huffed, "I know I act all happy-go-lucky and I've excused your disrespect, but even I have a limit. I don't just go around bowing to everyone like some idiot." I was done with letting this guy just get away with this, I try to be kind but not a doormat.

At least he had the decency to look a little sheepish. "You're right... I'm sorry." He pushed out the words hesitantly. "It's hard to look past the fact that you're Rosalie's daughter."

"I understand, but for this to work, we need to at least be cordial." He reluctantly agreed. "Now, names." I start off, "Any preferences?"

"Not really, but I won't name myself. It would be too weird, just come up with one for me, I don't care." It was a lot of pressure but kind of exciting at the same time. I stared at him, using his looks and air to decipher the best name for him. I chewed my lip in concentration.

"What about Alexios?" I suggested.

"No."

"What's wrong with it?" I pulled my brows together in offense.

"It stands out so much."

"Of course it does. You stand out, so it matches. It also means warrior in Greek. Very fitting." I was proud of my naming abilities.

"Whatever, you'll be the only one using it anyway.  I need to go back to my room, work starts early."

"Okay, I'm going to talk to your supervisor about becoming my guard tomorrow. Goodnight." He stalked off without so much as a 'night'.