08 | Chalice of Hydra

Start from the beginning

I look over at Savannah whose eyebrows are knitted in a thin line. Aiden notices her too

"Do you have something in mind?" he asks.

Savannah breathes out and starts. "Notice how Ethan is the one raping Janet?" We nod in unison. "Well, the murderer cut his penis off, didn't they?"

Realization dawns upon us three and we look at one another, taking the fact in.

"And Thomas is the one recording..." Aiden says, trailing off and Savannah simply nods.

"Dismembered his hands," she says with a shrug.

"But that would mean everything goes back to this video," Ray comments, pointing at his laptop. We spend a solid moment looking at the computer, not knowing what to say or how to feel. It's like the killer is baiting us into finding the truth behind their motives, into digging further, and for all we know, it may just be another trap, another game.

"We need to find who these two boys are," Aiden says in a hurry, stepping towards the exit when I stop him.

"There's no need." My voice stops him in his tracks and he turns around. "Archie Gardner and Paul Zhou, those are their names. Together, the four of them ruled Sacredmore ten years ago. And Janet..." I pause, gritting my teeth, "she was their victim."

Aiden stares at me for a while and then turns to Ray immediately. "Locate Archie Gardner and Paul Zhou. We'll be interrogating the former headmaster of Sacredmore next. See if he remembers anything about Janet or anyone who was enemies with Ethan's friend group." Ray raises a hand. "Yes, Ray?"

"I may know someone who can help us on this case. Will you be willing to meet up with her?" he asks.

Aiden contemplates before finally agreeing to the offer. "Let's go back. We have a hell lot of paperwork to cover right now."

Ray and I nod as Aiden exits the morgue, us following him close behind.

***

"Do you think she's going to bring in someone useful?" I ask Aiden as we wait at a local cafe for Ray and his "secret agent" to arrive.

Aiden holds his cup of tea by its handle and sighs. "It's Ray we're talking about. He's unpredictability defined," he answers and takes a sip of his drink.

I purse my lips and take a sip of my black coffee, looking around the cafe. It's a tiny building with a handful of tables and chairs. From its walls hang various framed photos of celebrities and influential people who've visited the place. I spot a picture of Victor and Patricia Covington among them. They're one of the most popular residents of this town, which is possibly why they were able to hide their son's crimes so well. That's the power of money and influence, and the Covingtons have plenty of fortune by their side.

That's when I notice Ray walk in, a woman with shoulder-length black hair and pale skin, presumably of our age, by his side. They're bickering inaudibly but stop when they spot us among the crowd of customers. Ray waves a hand to us and soon they both take their seat across from us.

"Aiden and Amara, meet Lindsey!" Ray says with enthusiasm pouring out of his voice.

The woman smiles with hesitance and reaches out her hand to shake ours. "I'm Lindsey Hoover," she says and we greet her.

"I'm Aiden Jackson, this is my partner Amara Willow; Ray of course you know," Aiden says, introducing the three of us.

"Yes, Ray and I go way back to the time I first became a detective," she says.

"You're a detective, as well?" I ask, finding a common ground among us.

"Oh, she's one of the best homicide detectives in Seattle, Washington," Ray adds with a grin that spans the whole length of his face.