Chapter 15

Towards the Sun - Rihanna

__________

SUCKED INTO AN OPAQUE void of voices and imagery, my dreams painted an abstract world with hazy terrains and orange hues. Nothing remained stable. All images meshed into one, stretching into a murky thought before shrinking and exploding into a whole new vision of vagueness and then bouncing back to first base.

It was disorienting.

It felt like my mind was being distorted and strained, but I was stuck in the addled confines of my subconscious, unable to fight against it as my neck oddly throbbed with a searing pain that shot through to my fractured mind.

Until sharp fluorescent beams pricked at my eyelids, blaring through my shut eyes.

And suddenly, I grasped reality.

Blinking open my wary eyes, I almost immediately regretted it as I found my head lulled backwards, leaning against a metal chair, staring right into the fluorescent lights embedded in the concrete ceiling above me.

A groan left my throat as I cocked my head to the side, away from the lights which only aggravated my headache further.

At first, everything was blurry.

I sucked in a hot breath, a sharp pain rippling from behind my watery eyes and all the way down to my neck again. Instinctively, I went to grasp my neck and massage the sharp pain out of my skin.

However, my hand would not lift.

Squinting through the blurry vision and the tears pooling on my bottom lash lid, I found my wrists bound to the arms of the chair beneath me, my wrists encircled with two metallic cuffs that seemed specifically designed for this chair.

Like the sole purpose of this chair was to keep someone bound to it.

"What the shuck..." I sputtered, words slurring.

I thrusted my arms upwards, hoping there was some fault in the metal and it would burst if I lifted my arm hard enough.

Yet, all that did was ignite a painful yelp from my throat and leave bright red marks on my wrists.

"Shit!"

Suddenly, a voice erupted in front of me.

"Hey, watch your mouth."

I froze. The sting of the metal cuffs immediately swept to the back of my mind as I felt a chill tremble across my skin. Rage simmered within my very bones as pieces started to fall together and the memory of his face before passing out ran angry circles through my rough thoughts.

Peering up through strands of my unkempt hair, my heated gaze slowly found Captain Sid sitting across a small metal table, separating him from me.

I seethed beneath a humorless chuckle, scoffing at his audacity to monitor my morals.