CHAPTER SIXTEEN- Moonlit Nights (TACO'S PERSPECTIVE)

I held Mic as she sobbed. Regret tugged at my stomach as I couldn't find any words to try and comfort her; I didn't know what she was crying about.
I silently stroked her hair, the urge to scream rising in my throat. I just wanted to shout; but I held my anger back and breathed in and out, trying to calm myself as well as her.
An idea struck me then.
"What if we went out for a walk?" I offered, not contemplating the dangers.
Mic looked at me, confused. "Now? At... this time?"
She picked up her phone, which she'd brought with her when we were at the tracks, thankfully so. We looked at the time— 12:38 AM. She shrugged.
"What if... he... uh... what if he's out there?" she whispered fearfully.
I shook my head. "That won't happen. I'm sure."
She nodded. "I trust you."
I smiled. "Good. Now let's go!"
I jumped up and lent my hand to Mic, helping her up and stabilizing her as she put her hand on her forehead, sighing softly. I grabbed a knife before leaving, for like... safety purposes.
We began to walk on the same path we took earlier, but our hands clung to one another. I was wary of... him, yeah, but I was sure nothing would hurt us.
Nothing could harm us.
We walked down the train tracks, just comfortably enjoying one another's presence. I heard thunder from a little while away, and I smiled to myself.
Mic had always talked about dancing in the rain at night, but due to OJ's safety measures, we never actually got to do it. I nudged her.
"It's about to rain," I mentioned casually, smiling at her face as it lit up.
"It's about to rain!" she yelled happily, smiling in excitement. I glanced at her face, dimly lit in the late fall moonlight. She looked so beautiful.
A small droplet of rain fell on my nose, and I shuddered at the cold touch. Mic smiled and picked me up, twirling me in a circle as she yelled happily, "Whoo!"
When she eventually put me down, I stumbled and tried to regain my balance from the dizziness. I smiled gently and hugged her.
She hugged me back, the soft midnight moonlight illuminating our figures as we held each other. The rain became heavy and we got drenched, but we didn't care. We were together, and that's what mattered.
"Your mood surely lifted," I murmured, putting my hand on her face. She smiled and leaned into my hand.
"I guess being with you always makes me happy," she murmured, putting her hand on mine. I leaned in, and—
"No welcome back for me?"
I froze, instantly recognizing the grating voice.
No, no no...
I turned around slowly.
No one was there.
Mic looked at me, clearly confused. "What're you... are you okay, Taco?" she asked, looking at me with clear concern in her eyes. I shook my head.
"I-I'm fine. Just thought I heard someone," I said softly. I pulled her down to my height and kissed her, our lips softly pressing together as I felt a smile form on Mic's face. I never wanted to pull away. The fear of something happening to her overcame what little sense of ease I had.
Eventually, though, I had to pull away. Mic smiled, a soft sparkle in her eyes as she stared at me. "I'm so glad you changed," she murmured as she pulled me closer. I listened to the rhythmic sound of her heartbeat as I was pressed against her chest. The way she was holding me told me that we shared the same fear of losing each other.
"You know," Mic said, "Just being out here is risking so much. With Pickle on the loose, and all."
I sighed. "I know. It's fun being here with you, though. I know that all this, all this is so scary. But y'know... if I die, I'd be satisfied with dying if I died with you."
Tears formed at the corners of Mic's eyes and she started to cry, clinging onto me as if I were as precious as gold. I leaned into her and smiled softly.
"I love you, Mic. Don't ever, ever forget that."
Choked back by sobs, she managed to say, "I love you too."
I looked at the moon, then at Mic, adoring the lighting as it hit almost perfectly on her face. I reached up and put my arms around her neck, smiling. She smiled too, through her tears, and brushed a loose strand of hair behind my ear.
Finally, I was at peace. The gentle sound of rainfall covered by...
Footsteps...?
"Mic," I whispered, "we need to go."
She looked at me, confusion clouding her gaze. "Why?" she whispered, fear edging her voice. I grabbed her hand.
"I hear footsteps."
I ran and dragged her along with me. The footsteps seemed to accelerate. They were chasing us.
I dragged Mic after me, fearfully. She watched me with fear in her eyes.
Suddenly, I felt rooted in place. I looked down in confusion.
"Huh...?" I whispered. Mic ran farther for a second before realizing I was stuck. I looked at her fearfully and pointed to the bushes.
"In- The- Bushes!-" I yelled, the air seeming to cut off my voice. Mic reluctantly dived into the brushes and I was finally able to move again. I whipped around, stuffing my hand in my pocket to get a grip on my knife's handle. A shadowed figure slipped out of the side of the woods.
"Oh god," I whispered fearfully. I got a good look at them and stepped back.
Pickle had a knife, and was walking towards me, step by step.