CHAPTER FIFTEEN- Always The Fool, With The Slowest Heart (MIC'S PERSPECTIVE)

We were beside a train track tunnel, an overpass for cars just above it. Having been on the run for a few days, it was nice to finally have somewhere to stay.
We'd fixed up an old car a couple of dozen miles down from the hotel, making sure to stay far away. I felt bad, really, about abandoning them. But it was for Taco. I had to make sure she was safe.
I was carrying her in my arms. She was fast asleep, snoring quietly as I walked. I stared at her, and an overcoming reassurance that everything would be okay washed over me. I sighed and lowered myself to the ground to take a rest. We were covered by mostly trees and tall grass, so it was harder to be found. I just gazed at Taco for a while, thinking about what to do next while simultaneously keeping a watch out for... him. It was tiring to constantly be on the lookout, but I thought it was better than waiting for him to come to us.
I quietly picked at the grass. Taco stirred but didn't wake up. I watched the train tracks as she slept. Not much was happening— not until the ground started to shake.
I instantly stood up, alert pulsing in my veins as I tried to figure out what it was. An earthquake, maybe?
Taco was blinking awake now, her eyes wide. "Mic, what's going on?" she asked, fear choking in her voice. I shrugged helplessly and sat her down to look down the tracks. I located the shaking's source— a train.
I sighed, relief overcoming my panic. "It's just a train," I breathed quietly, turning back to Taco. Her eyes copied mine, ease settling in her gaze.
I nudged her, and she looked up at me. "Hm?"
"We can watch it," I offered, sitting beside her. She shrugged. "Okay."
We sat quietly as the train emerged from the tunnel. Above it, a car passed over the bridge.
Finally, the train arrived, loudly clicking against the tracks as it did so. I pulled Taco closer and she rested her head on my shoulder, closing her eyes as she slipped into a quiet, restful sleep.
I put my head on hers and watched the train go by peacefully, finally feeling at ease after days of panic and running. I knew then I'd do anything for her— she was my soulmate. Days like these were terrible, sure, but we were still together. We were still kicking.
And that's what matters.
I arose, picking her up as I did so. I walked back to our car, which was a couple of miles down.
I arrived and stood in shock at what I saw.
Our car had been trashed.
I jostled Taco, which got her awake. "Y-Yeah, dear...?" she asked groggily, staring up at me. Wordlessly I pointed to the car.
She gasped in surprise and jumped down, staring at the mess. She fell to her knees and put her hands on her face in a mix of frustration and panic.
"Now what?!" she yelled, confronting the sky. "Why is this happening to us?"
I stared at her, wanting to reassure her but not finding the words. I just gaped silently at the mess, wondering who could've possibly done this. I then averted my gaze to the floor. I didn't want to believe it, but there was one idea I had—
"There's a possibility that it could've been Pickle," I murmured. Taco looked shaken for a brief moment, but that quickly changed to anger.
"Well, why would he wreck our car?! Why wouldn't he have waited for us to come back?"
I considered this. "Maybe he just wanted us to suffer."
She sighed. "Or, maybe, it wasn't him at all."
I rolled my eyes at this. "And who else do you think would do this?"
She shrugged. "Maybe it was OJ, or Knife, trying to drive us back to the hotel. They did seem pretty, uh... adamant, on keeping us there."
"Okay. Maybe it was that," I said, laughing a little. "But I'm still holding onto my Pickle theory."
She nodded. "Do what you'd like."
I tried to salvage the leftovers of what was our temporary home, not that there was much to save. The robbers took practically everything.
We ended up having to huddle closer than usual since among the missing items were our blankets and pillows. It felt good, honestly. It'd been a while since we'd just gotten to lay and look up at the stars together. Tears formed in my eyes, thinking about how simple it was back then. I missed how it used to be— how all we used to be were two idiots in love, without the trauma of who I thought was my friend hanging over me every hour of the day. I missed sleeping in our bed, just holding each other. I missed talking about the other residents of Hotel OJ without a care in the world and I missed sitting on the roof with her. I missed it all so much. It hurt me, knowing that I was the one partially responsible for getting Taco shot in the leg. I wish I'd never joined this stupid competition. I wish I'd never come to Hotel OJ. I wish it was just me, alone. I didn't deserve anyone to hold; all I did was destroy relationships with others and never did anything to fix them because I was too weak and hated confrontation. I hated everything about me. I hated that I was always the fool that had the slowest heart. I hated that I came here and ruined so many people's lives just for the sake of my happiness. I didn't know.
I didn't know I'd make a difference.
Taco noticed my pathetic tears and held me closer. I resented the fact that this was how I was, but I guess you couldn't change what your heart desired. I was so glad I met her.
I kissed her head softly, and I whispered, choking back tears, "I love you."

im so super proud of the feels in this chapter what