"I just wish mommy and daddy get back together. I like her happy but family is better than anything. Separation is just plain old bad."

"Separation? When did you learn that word?" 

Winter smiled, "Today! Kindergarten is really—really hard. But I'm really smart. Mommy says so." Winter assured as she kicked her feet back and forth.

"Yeah, you are smart, mom is right."

Reign felt a wave of sadness as a memory of her childhood came to her.

Reign came home that night after her basketball game.

Her father couldn't make it but her mother went. They had some argument that morning and Reign didn't know what was happening. She was only 7.

"Go upstairs."

Reign frowned, "but mommy, you said we were going out for ice cream. I won the game and-"

"I lied. People lie all the time, get used to it."

"But mom-"

"But nothing! Be useless and run the bath water, your brothers are going to be here any moment." Her mother ran her hands through her hair.

Reign sat there as she rocked back and forth.

"Why are you still standing there?" Her mother asked her, "Stop being stupid, do what I asked."

"But I don't know how, mommy."

Her mother scoffed before pushing pass her and storming off to the bathroom as Reign plopped down on the floor causing her knee to scrape a bit.

The pain ached, but she got up and ran into the kitchen. Tears flooded her eyes as she grabbed a paper towel and ran the water to add towards the paper towel.

She turned the water off and then ran to the spot where she scraped her knee and she wiped the hardwood floor as her eye sight became blurry from the tears.

The sound of the door opening was heard as her brothers looked at her weirdly,

"What's going on?"

"I can't talk right now. She's going to be mad."

Her brother knelt down as he frowned and then stopped her from scrubbing.

"what's wrong? You're bleeding." He asked,

Reign shook her head, "just please go! Or she'll be mad at you too. I don't want you to get in trouble."

The memory flew away as fast as it came and a pain in Reign's heart was felt.

"Are you okay?" Winter asked.

Reign placed her mask over her face as she smiled. Smiled the pain away because it was always easier.

"I'm fine, go downstairs and help mommy, would you?"

Winter jumped down from the bed, "Okay, but keep the ice cream. It's to help if you're sad and I don't want you to be sad, Rei."

Reign smiled softly, "okay, I'll keep the ice cream."

Winter then turned around and skipped out of the room.

"REIGN OLIVIA MONREAL!" She heard the sound of her mother's voice as she groaned while placing her ice cream onto her desk and rushed down stairs.

Growing up with parents like this, she knew better than to take her time or let her mother repeat herself.

"Yes, ma'am?"