3. our first friends & second mothers

Acute and attuned to the minute of noises, I listened to what I presumed was Sadie wrestling with keys in her hand at my door.

My pulse jumped as I stuffed the myriad of papers into the portfolio David had left me. By the time I heard the familiar squish of the door dragging across the threshold, the folder was resting, closed, on the coffee table next to an abandoned cup of tea and a bag of empty potato chips.

"Annie?" My sister's voice sounded hushed as she approached me gingerly from the front door.

I had taken to sleeping on the couch for ease of access. My living room had become my temporary base for lackluster operations. I was nearly a week into recovery and had scarcely moved from my position except to use the bathroom and heat pre-made meals.

Sadie visited religiously. Every morning, with a coffee and pastry in hand, she tiptoed through the door, inquiring about my condition. My doting sister had opted to spend the night twice, and although I was aching to spend my waking hours making puzzle pieces fit, I was glad for the intrusion.

Her tone was still soft, "You up?"

I spoke, lifting my head to look at her, "Mhm, I'm awake. Morning."

She bowed, bringing her lips to my forehead.

"Hi, baby. Here, I got you pistachio today," she handed me the parchment bag.

I peeked at the croissant, feeling its warmth and salivating at the drizzle of chocolate.

I was feeling spicy. "I'm not a baby, but thank you."

"Whatever, AB. You'll always be my baby," she set the coffee in front of me, sticking her tongue out.

I gave her an exaggerated eye roll. We were only four years apart, although she loved to act like there were more years between us.

She had sunk into the comfortable armchair beside me, "Who pissed in your coffee this morning?

"Probably you. How's my favorite girl?" I turned the volume down on the morning newscast.

"She's good. Alex is working from home this morning, but Mom is there, keeping her busy until the afternoon."

I'd regretted not spending much time with Lily during my tenure with the task force. No one had shamed me for my absence, but I felt it, especially when I looked at how quickly she'd changed in such little time.

"Mom's a Godsend."

My mother had been over several times herself, carrying homemade meals she and my father had prepared for me.

I could tell my mom wanted to be with me during my recovery but was reluctant to. Although I explained otherwise, she hadn't wanted to feel bothersome. Sadie's presence assuaged my mother's concerns, who undoubtedly, updated her about my welfare.

She hadn't verbalized it, but I was certain my mom thought I worked too much. I'm sure she held even more contempt for my job now that I'd been in the accident and McCain was gone.

"She is. What have you been up to?" Sadie sipped from a sleeved to-go cup, eyeing the folder on the coffee table.

"You mean since I saw you last night? Sleep, mostly. You'd be proud – I just finished the first three seasons of a show."

"Attagirl. There's nothing like a good ole fashion binge session. Which show?"

I replied, taking a big bite of the croissant, "Homeland."

"Oh, my goodness. Is Claire Danes not magical? I've loved her since My So-Called Life – and Jared Leto? Mmm..." She made an appreciative noise, and I laughed.