1. all objects are weapons

Beep... beep... beep... beep...

The syncopated rhythm in my ears was an opposite lullaby. Instead of lulling me to sleep, it had siphoned me from slumber.

With a jolt, I jerked into an almost upright position, welcomed by sterile white walls, low glowing monitors, and searing pain.

Nathan.

My heart hammered against my ribcage as realization dawned on me.

My chest heaved as I labored to breathe in a body that felt bereft. I felt like a human ragdoll – limp and haggard.

"Thank you, God!"

My sister's voice startled me.

Sadie came rushing to my side from where she must've been keeping vigil.

"Annie. Oh my God. Do you recognize me?" Sadie wiped loose strands of hair out of my face.

I studied her worried expression. Dark circles encompassed her red-rimmed eyes.

I tried using my voice but was deterred by a low burn. I nodded instead, trying to smile.

Sadie burst into tears like she had been keeping it together and was suddenly undone by relief. She offered me a watery smile, "Never scare me like that again, okay?"

The muscles in my face were tight but I quirked my lips in what I imagined was a terrifying smile.

Sadie sprang up, "Let me get the nurse. I'll be right back."

I steadied my breathing, taking a moment to survey the room.

Mild sunshine and a handful of floral arrangements dotting the space brought warmth to the otherwise sparse room.

With great effort, I pushed the linens aside to inspect myself. My right shoulder was bandaged, as was my torso. I lifted my left hand to my face and felt the gauzy muslin there as well.

My lower half appeared unscathed.

Before I could continue my examination, a nurse with a bobbing ponytail and gentle eyes purposefully entered the room with Sadie at her heels.

"Hi, Annabelle. My name is Maggie. I'm a nurse here at Cedar Sinai. I'm going to check you out, okay?"

Maggie moved through her chart choreography, scanning monitors and clicking away on a keyboard.

She assessed wounds that I'd seen and wounds I hadn't.

"You're looking good. Everything seems to be healing well and your vitals look good. Dr. Foster will be excited to know you're awake, but you let me know if you need anything in the meantime, okay?"

I offered her a left-handed thumbs-up and she departed, seemingly satisfied.

Sadie adjusted the blankets so that I was covered again. She didn't hesitate when I gestured toward the water.

She obliged, balancing a straw against my lips as she waited for me to take a sip. The liquid was a welcome respite.

I tried clearing my throat but winced at the stinging pain. I summoned enough strength for a hoarse whisper, "What happened?"

Sadie suddenly looked very sad, "You and McCain were in an accident. During your work trip? They transported you here once it was safe."

I lifted my eyebrows, "McCain."

Her lips pressed firmly in a line as she reached for my good hand, "Oh, honey. I'm so sorry."

Tears welled in her eyes, "He didn't make it."