"Back to us," Ann continued as she stirred the noodles. "The Queen of Spades fell yesterday, so-"

"Really?" I asked, surprised.

"Yes, and I really don't know how you didn't notice it." Kuina glared at me.

"I wasn't at my top, okay?" I told her, stealing her some edamame.

"There remains the King and Queen of Hearts, the King of Diamonds and the bloody King of Spades." Ann ended the speech.

"Assuming Chishiya will go to the King of Diamonds, we have to choose Hearts or Spades." Kuina mused aloud.

"Hearts are very risky." Ann said. "But the King of Spades isn't a piece of cake either."

"We still have five days; let's wait and see what happens." I said, resting my elbows on the kitchen counter.

"Yes, I think it's the best choice, as well as the most logical." Ann turned the spoon one last time in the pot, while an inviting scent wafted through the air.

"Is it ready?!" Kuina asked impatiently. "I'm starving!"

Shortly after, we were all sitting at the table in the living room, enjoying our steaming noodles. 

None of us spoke until the bowls were empty.

"That was very good." Kuina said, satisfied. "But, it's not over yet."

"Did you burglarize the supermarket?" I joked, as Kuina went to the bags again and returned with what looked like small breads.

"What are they?" I asked, curious.

"I'll pretend you didn't ask me that question." Kuina placed them in the middle of the table.

"They're melonpan." Ann answered, taking one. "Typical Japanese sweets. Halfway between sweet rolls and a croissant."

I took one and tasted it; in fact, the taste was just that. "It reminds me a lot of the pan-brioches I tasted when I went to Italy."

"Tasty, huh?" Kuina also took one and bit into it. "They could also be filled, but we haven't found the creams for the filling."

"They're very nice even this way." I said, taking another one.

"Oh, now I recognize you!" Kuina smiled.

We spent the evening chatting and eating melonpans. It must have been very late when we finally decided to go to sleep, because the sky was dark blue and the stars were shining, giving assistance to the moon, which was only a small "C" that night.

I slept well that night, I even had a dream that I forgot the moment I opened my eyes.

The following morning, we decided to move out of the center and take a walk in the woods, to see if we could find the others. We didn't find them, but on the other hand we found a stream and so we took the opportunity to take a bath, and being among girls it was much less embarrassing.

When we went back, it was already almost evening and to our great surprise, we saw the King of Hearts blimp burst into flames and crash.

"Another's out!" Kuina shouted.

"Shh." Ann scolded her. "There's no point in getting noticed."

"Right, sorry."

I shook my head and smiled; Kuina hadn't changed at all. Even though we were only a few blocks away from the King of Spades, she never missed an opportunity to vent her enthusiasm.