It Was Like Listening To A Fairytale, Mrs Hughes

Start from the beginning

"Very well, Alfred —" The inspector said and rose to his feet, the footman mimicked his movements, and shook his hand. " — we will look into this, I promise, but try and get this servant to come forward because it'll be a stronger case."

Alfred nodded. "I'll try again, sir, and thank you." he said and with that he left the station feeling better about his decision to come forward, he made a note to trust his aunt's advice more often because surely everyone would be thankful for Mr Barrow finally being exposed.

Downton Abbey,
August 1920

Matthew was adjusting the button's of his jacket as he stared himself in the mirror. He did not look much better today than he did yesterday, nor the day before. Yet, today, his heart ached worse and his eyes were still red from crying. He had not presented himself for breakfast, yet again, and made the excuse that the estate needed a lot of tending. He had already been pestered by Molesley about being his valet while Thomas was indisposed, which he had declined, and now lunch was about to take place. Perhaps he could escape it as well? For his heart was on his sleeve from what he had overheard last night and he didn't know if he could keep himself composed if Mary began speaking of Thomas.

"Pull yourself together, Matthew" He told his reflection and then took a deep breath. "For goodness sake, you're the future heir — push your emotions away." But that was easier said than done and they were brought forth in full force as he opened his closet to take out his shoes. There laid the box of memories, the box of their years together — of him and Thomas; shoved away, hidden. Matthew slammed the closet door shut violently and he then gave it a kick before turning around and running a hand through his hair.

He needed to know, he absolutely needed to know, what Alfred had seen that night. The night of the fair when Thomas had been so late to meet him. What had happened? He pulled his bedroom door open to step outside and make his way downstairs to have Mr Carson call for Alfred to come to his room but he was met by a set of doe-like eyes; Daisy stood in the hallway, right outside his room.

"Daisy, what are you doing up here?" He asked the girl who just shook her head, opened her mouth, closed it and then shook her head again.

Matthew sighed "Doesn't matter, can you run downstairs and have Alfred come to my room?" he asked the girl.

"Yes Mr Crawley" She said but she lingered for a moment, as if she wished to say something but thought better of it, and then hurried away.

Matthew closed his door again and flung himself down in his chair with his eyes fixated upon the window and what laid outside. His eyes focused on the path towards the forest, the path he had walked so many times with Thomas Barrow.

"Alfred, Mr Crawley wants you to come to his room." Daisy said as she walked into the kitchen.

"Whatever for? I'm about to serve lunch!" Alfred said in a panic.

" Alfred." Mr Carson's voice bellowed "If Mr Crawley is requesting you, you better go — go on lad!" He shooed the footman away "I'll bring lunch upstairs with James." He muttered and shook his head.

Mrs Hughes looked confused and turned to Daisy "Why would Mr Crawley ask you to call for Alfred?"

"Who called for Alfred?" O'Brien asked as she stepped into the kitchen.

"Mr Crawley did, Miss O'Brien" Daisy said anxiously.

"Ah, see — " O'Brien said smugly and tossed Jimmy a glance " — surely to be asked to valet, no doubt about it."

"Don't be foolish, Miss O'Brien." Mrs Hughes scoffed " — as if Alfred would be preferred over Mr Molesley."

"Sometimes a good lad is rewarded, a good honest lad." O'Brien said with a twinkle in her eye and gave Jimmy another smirk.