Chapter Five: Shinigami vs Zombies

Start from the beginning

§ - § - § - § - §

[Konoha]

Loud and rhythmic noises echoed in the air as a large wooden pole was punched and kicked mercilessly. Small patches of blood draped its surface as well as the ground below, but the person striving to hit it didn't seem to realize it.

Uchiha Sasuke had never felt so frustrated in his entire life, either before or after he died at the hands of Naruto. He was an Uchiha, an elite among the members of his clan, an ANBU captain with a record of completed missions that rivaled that of his brother and Hatake Kakashi. He was probably among the twenty strongest ninja in the entire village, he had obtained the final form of his Sharingan, the Eternal Mangekyō Sharingan, and was in the Bingo Book of many villages in the S-Rank ninja category, yet he couldn't calm himself after what had happened the night before.

"Sasuke."

His strokes became stronger and heavier, and he began to lose more blood as heavy cracks began to open on the pole.

"Sasuke!"

Without needing hand-seals, he channeled Raiton chakra into his hands and with ever faster strokes, destroyed the wooden pole in dozens of pieces until someone pocked him on the forehead, bringing him back to reality.

"Enough of that, foolish little brother." said Itachi staring at him with calm eyes "You're just hurting yourself."

"Itachi..." breathed Sasuke before looking down. Since his clan was brought back to life and his brother had returned to Konoha, things had improved for Sasuke, but after learning the truth about the failed coup and the true mission of Itachi, Sasuke was no longer able to integrate at best in the clan. Sure, he was now much less solitary and spoke quietly with other people, including his brother who had helped him acquire the Mangekyō Sharingan and then the Eternal one, exchanging his eyes with him, but no matter how hard he tried, Sasuke couldn't go back to being what he was before the massacre.

"What bothers you, Sasuke? Our mother told me you started punching and kicking that pole three hours ago."

Sasuke, in response, simply shook his head "You wouldn't understand."

Itachi sighed "It's about Naruto, right?" Sasuke's sudden wince confirmed his question "You're still afraid..."

Few people knew this, but Sasuke, after being brought back to life, had been hospitalized for two months due to his panic attacks, especially during sleep. It was Ino's father's turn to enter his mind and understand what was tormenting him, and what he had discovered had left him visibly shocked. Apparently, every night, Sasuke relived his battle with Naruto in his dreams, dying every single time at the hands of his opponent immediately after three red chakra tails popped out of his body.

Minato had ordered to seal that particular memory so he could calm Sasuke, yet the dreams continued. Fortunately, Itachi had decided to use his Sharingan to condition Sasuke, allowing him to face the dream once and for all. The experiment had been successful and Sasuke had managed to recover from his ailments, but the memory was still in his mind, ready to attack him.

"You don't know what it means to die...to be killed so brutally when your opponent has a sick smile on his face..." said Sasuke shacking his head "And now that person is back, probably stronger than before! Me and the others know that man was really Naruto but his power is absurd! You saw what he did to the Hokage Mountain! None of our Katon jutsu could cause that destruction without the help of some other technique!"

"And you are afraid that he will do what he said." nodded Itachi before placing a hand over his shoulder "Sasuke, the Hokage already has several plans in mind to stop it, many of which are enough to stop an out-of-control Jinchuuriki. Everything will be all right, trust yourself and those who will fight by your side."