Curse of the Clashing Worlds | Miya

Author: PearlsByShirl

Book: Curse of the Clashing Worlds

Genre: Sci-Fi

Chapters Read: Prologue - Chapter 4

Kat Tails: 2

Thank you for your patience as I reviewed your work!
This review will contain spoilers for the chapters I read, so keep this in mind as you proceed.

✧ ───── ✧ ───── ✧

Cover: 3/5

The color scheme of this cover is cohesive and I like the text's pixel blur effect. Overall though, it's a bit underwhelming and doesn't give a great idea of the story. The author's name is difficult to read due to size and there's a lot of empty space on the cover.

I would highly recommend checking out a cover shop on Wattpad to find a cover that helps your story shine!

✧ ───── ✧ ───── ✧

Title: 2/5

I'm admittedly not a fan of this title. It's vague, wordy, and lacks hook or mystery. I'm also having trouble pegging the story's genre (it wasn't included in the form so I'm having to guess). It's leaning more toward sci-fi than fantasy, at present. The title does fit the cover however, so I like the connection there.

✧ ───── ✧ ───── ✧

Blurb: 1/5

In the future, a new world is discovered linking past events to the present. Three people journey to a world within their world. Along the journey, truth to past events surface while those threatened by this seek to find and destroy anyone who may reveal it.

This takes place on a dystopian world full of pollution and rats may be the answer to everything. Sam, Sarah, and Tony go on a quest that will forever change their lives and the lives of people on earth. Will it be for the better or the worse?

The first paragraph of the blurb is extremely vague. What is the new world, the past events, the journey, the truth? Who are the three people and who is threatened by the truth? The following paragraph provides some information about the world and the names of the three protagonists, but little else. In general, you should try and provide the following info in the blurb with the same style throughout: characters + setting + conflict + stakes. You have the setting, but the characters, conflict, and stakes could use some more description.

✧ ───── ✧ ───── ✧

Writer Interaction: 4/5

Disclaimer: This category does not reflect on a writer's skill at all. It is merely given points as it shows the writer is invested in their readers' opinions and suggestions and can be used to project future growth. (Also, Miya is using her judging rubric and doesn't want to change it because it totals to a neat 100 points as is XD)

Writer is highly invested in readers' interactions.

✧ ───── ✧ ───── ✧

Plot/Pacing: 3/10

The plot is interesting enough with the mutant rats in Sam's home and the guy trying to buy it out from under her. It reminds me of Up in that way. The pacing could use some work as the story follows an action, dialogue, action, dialogue form with little variation. I would recommend trying to focus less on the everyday actions and dialogue and really honing in on the parts that will help propel your plot forward.