Komoreby | Miya

Author: SuVida777

Book: Komoreby

Genre: Sci-Fi

Chapters Read: Prologue - Chapter 10

Kat Tails: 9

Thank you for your patience as I worked on this review! I read 10 chapters since I'd previously read and judged the first five for awards (but I did go back and re-read to check out that new beginning and may have instead ended up re-reading ... all of it xD)
Please note that this review contains spoilers for the chapters read!

✧ ───── ✧ ───── ✧

Cover: 5/5

You're so talented! Like wow, I love how the colors pop on this cover. The detailed sunshine on the Evanna's face and hair while the rest is in shadow is beautiful and the genre is clear thanks to the little lights that look like electrons swirling around the nucleus of an atom (I'm sorry if that's completely incorrect. I was never fond of or good at science xD) Overall, this is an aesthetically appealing cover that gives the perfect vibe of teen fic/sci-fi. I'm not usually a fan of model-based covers, but this one I'd pick up in a heartbeat.

✧ ───── ✧ ───── ✧

Title: 5/5

I think I'm partial to one-word titles even if I never use them myself. It's unique, but familiar enough to me personally that it caught my interest far before I ever interacted with you. As I found out in your intro, it's based on the word "komorebi" and I caught the connection right away! The emotion the title evokes matches the cover and the combination of the two sold me. I would absolutely pick this book up off the shelf if I saw this title on the spine.

✧ ───── ✧ ───── ✧

Blurb: 4/5

Superb character introduction and perfect length! I think you've struck the balance of giving away neither too much nor too little and your word choice has been stream-lined for maximum effect. My only reservation is the last paragraph. I think you set up character and conflict well, but I'm left wondering what the stakes are. I can guess that if she fails, Evanna won't find her way home, but what else? An extra sentence toward the end about what the risk is and what Evanna stands to lose specifically could make your already strong hook even stronger.

✧ ───── ✧ ───── ✧

Writer Interaction: 5/5

Disclaimer: This category does not reflect on a writer's skill at all. It is merely given points as it shows the writer is invested in their readers' opinions and suggestions and can be used to project future growth. (Also, Miya is using her judging rubric and doesn't want to change it because it totals to a neat 100 points as is XD)

Writer is highly invested in their readers' interactions and responds positively to constructive comments. Critique is well-received to the point that the writer has made alterations.

✧ ───── ✧ ───── ✧

Plot/Pacing: 9/10

I think the fact that I didn't want to put this book down when I got to chapter 10 says everything! I'm whole-heartedly invested in Evie's predicament. It's unique, it's relatable, and the fact that this new universe is both worse and better than the old one in different ways ... well, that's going to be a hard choice on whether she'll want to go back if she gets the chance.