Original Version - Chapter 7

Even though it was still rather early, Elanor could not sleep so quickly dressed and left her home to walk among the trees. She felt more strongly that she should join the patrol of these lands and had finally settled into the most peace she had felt since the fellowship had arrived. She was sure that her father would be pleased.

Looking up into the branches of the tall trees, she stopped and took a deep breath as she closed her eyes, feeling a calm settle over her. She could not help the smile that came across her face. Yes, this was a worthy purpose, she could not help to think.

"My lady, I did not expect you up so early," a voice said. 

Elanor opened her eyes and saw Haldir walking towards her. She smiled as she stepped to him.

"I did not know that you had returned," she said.

"Late last night. I did not want to disturb you," he said, smiling at her. 

He glanced around noting the relative privacy that they had, closed the distance as he bent down and gently pressed a kiss upon her lips. Elanor could not help the fluttering in her stomach. While he still did not affect her the way Legolas did - and likely never would - she still enjoyed these stolen moments with him. 

"You seem somewhat changed since I saw you last."

"Well, I have made a decision," she said. Haldir's face lit up. "I will join the guard." 

While his expression was somewhat tempered, he was still happy to hear this news.

"What has changed your mind?" he asked, leading her over to sit on a large root.

"I felt it was time to do my part to help protect our lands," she said. "Darkness is coming whether we see it now or not. I should stand ready to help." He nodded.

"I am glad to hear it," he said. Elanor studied him a moment, sensing a slight bit of sadness. She looked away, the guilt already starting to slide in. "Please, do not be concerned of me. I know where I stand with you."

She took a deep breath and slowly let it out, still not eager to look into his eyes. He reached over and took her hand.

"I assure you, I am just happy to be at your side, even if it is as a friend and friend only," he said. Elanor nodded slowly.

"I wish that I could change how I feel," she said softly.

"A heart is a difficult thing to control," Haldir replied. "Something I know all too well." 

Elanor ventured a look at him.

"I am grateful to have you as a companion," she said, squeezing his hand. "Truly, I am." 

He nodded and smiled at her.

"As am I," he said.

"Though I do wish that you would... seek your own happiness," she said, frowning slightly. 

Haldir's smile turned sad.

"I have found my own happiness," he replied. "Even if I cannot capture your heart in the way that I wish, it is still happiness to be with you."

"You truly would be content like this?" she asked softly.

"As you cannot stamp out your feelings for Legolas, I too cannot stop feeling the way I do about you," he said. "It would cause me more pain to seek out another than to be only as I am - a friend." 

Elanor nodded and looked away into the forest.

"I sometimes fear that I give you too much hope," she said despondently.