Chapter 1 - First Day of Work

Kasey's POV
My eyes grow wide as I look around at the hockey rink in front of me. This is the Capital One Arena. This is the place where the Washington Capitals play.

I've been to plenty of Caps games, having lived in Washington D. C. my entire life. My family loves the Capitals, but I've never been on the ice before and I'm kind of excited to skate on it.

"Do you need something?" Someone says from behind me. I jump and turn around to see who asked me the question.

I'm met with a tall guy who has dark brown hair and the start of a beard on his chin. I then realize that it's number 43 on the team, Tom Wilson.

"Not really. I'm the new athletic trainer. I'm Kasey Norton," I say, sticking my hand out to shake Wilson's.

Wilson stares at me in disbelief and then shakes my hand.

"Tom Wilson," he mutters. I nod.

"I know. My family members are huge Caps fans so I know who everyone on the team is," I say with a smile. Wilson nods.

"Cool. I guess I'll see you around then," he says as he walks past me to the locker room with his hockey bag.

I walk to the trainer's office and meet up with the other trainers. It may be my first day, but the trainers were nice enough to show me around a few days ago so I know where to go for my first day.

When I'm done talking with the other trainers, they send me out to the ice to watch the guys practice. I lace up my skates and skate over to the penalty box. It's the only place I can be where I won't get hit in the face with a puck.

As I skate on the ice, I'm amazed at how easy it is to skate on it. The ice is perfectly smooth and I'm almost embarrassed that I'm messing up this pristine ice. I almost want to keep skating, but I have to stop. The players need to practice and I'll be in the way if I keep skating.

I get in the penalty box and sit down on the bench. The team comes onto the ice just as I sit down.

I see all the familiar numbers and last names. T. J. Oshie is 77, Nicklas Backstrom is 19, Alex Ovechkin is 8, and so on. Some of the players wave at me as they skate past. I wave back and smile at them as they pass by.

Wilson's POV
"Hey, Tom, did you see that we got a new trainer?" Oshie asks as he skates next to me. I nod.

"Yeah. I met her when I got here. Her name's Kasey," I say. Oshie nods.

"Oh, you got to meet her. That's nice," he says. I shrug.

"I guess," I mutter as I slap shot a puck into the goal.

"You know, she's really pretty. Maybe you should go talk to her," Oshie says with a smirk. I roll my eyes.

"It's not happening, Osh." I reply. Kasey's really pretty, but I'm not the least bit interested.

"Why not? Taylor broke off your guy's engagement like a year ago. I think it's time to move on, man." Oshie explains as he tosses a hockey puck into the air and catches it on his stick a few times.

"I still don't get it though. Taylor and I were doing great and then she suddenly breaks it off. Now I've got a seven thousand dollar ring at my house that I can't get rid of," I say. Oshie shrugs.

"Didn't you tell me what she told you her reason for leaving was?" He asks. I nod.

"I did, but I don't really want to get into it right now." I mutter.

Taylor Pischke is a professional volleyball player from Canada. I'm from Canada too which is actually how we met. I proposed to her about a year and a half ago. Six months after the proposal, she breaks off the engagement, saying that both of us playing professional sports is bad for the future when we have kids.