Chapter 2- The Accident

Adam is humming happily, looking for paintbrushes in the ground-floor storeroom. He spies a cassette deck and looks through a stack of cassettes and plays one. It is an old Inkspots Love Song.

Y/n is in her room, packing up a few boxes that would hold the stuff that she won't be taking with her to the new school. While packing she spots an old stuffed animal, a bunny with a white sundress, and a white hat, and on the bottom of the dress has her name stitched onto it. Y/n remembers when her parents gave it to her on her 5th birthday and never let go of it. She looks at the bunny for a while then decides to leave it on her bed for her to remember to take it later.

Barbara is starting to paper the walls already. She frowns at the music and goes to the door. "Oh honey, you said no Inkspots  on the vacation!" She hears the music click off and goes back into the room. Adam puts away the tape but keeps humming the song. He opens the shutters on a small window and Jane appears with a huge grin. 

"BOO" He jumps back frightened.

"No, Jane." Adam closes the shutters as Jane affixes yet another card to the window. He continues his search for a brush. Jane leaves the house, flapping her contract down the lawn.

Adams calls Barbara "Honey, how about you and Y/n come with me down to the store?" 

"What for?" Barbara's response. 

"I need a good brush for this Ting oil and I want to pick up a piece of the model. Let's go early before anyone sees us." Barbara has already papered a few rolls in the guest room. 

"Ok, but let's hurry back. You just run in ok?"

Barbara goes into Y/n's room, seeing her pack up boxes and stuff in her luggage. She stands at the doorway for a minute just admiring the scene in front of her. Y/n turns to see her mother standing there with a smile on her face. 

Y/n laughs "Yes." 

Barbara just shrugs, "Nothing, just wanted to see what you are doing." Y/n looks at her with a skeptical look on her face, but decides not to question it.

Barbara wipes her face, "Your dad wanted us to go with him into town so he can get a brush for the model, and he wanted to know if you like to come?" Y/n thinks about it before shrugging her shoulders. 

"Why not, I need to get out of the house for a little while since all of this packing is hurting my back."

Outside of the house, Adam stands by the station wagon waiting for Barbara and Y/n to leave the house. When they come outside, Barbara gets on the driver's side, Adam in the passenger side, and Y/n in the backseat, and they drove off.

Adam dusts the inside of the dashboard while listening to Barbara. "Jane said we should sell the house to someone with a family." 

Adam puts his hand on her shoulder, "Ah, the ever-tactful Jane."

The car goes down the hill towards the bridge. "We should be flattered that she wants to sell our house," Adam says. 

"I know... I just wish she'd leave us alone." 

"Also what do we gain if we do let her sell the house," Y/n says while looking out the window. 

Adam looks at Y/n and then at Barbara, "Let's not think about it. We'll have a nice romantic, quiet vacation. Here comes the bridge chorus."

The car reaches the rickety-covered bridge. The car shakes, bobbing up and down on every plank. Since Adam, Barbara, and Y/n go through the bridge they come up with a routine and the routine is to sing an old Johnny Mathis song.

~Chances are...
When I wear a foolish grin...~

They all laughed together.