'I'll arrange for them to be here,' said Keith. 'There has also been a rumour that the black bayard was sighted.'

'What?' Shiro gasped, sitting up straighter.

'Are you serious?' asked Romelle just as shocked as Shiro.

'I'm just waiting for confirmation to come through,' said Keith. 'My understanding is there is a force field around it, and no-one can get through it, but the description of it was very vague.'

'When did you find out?' asked Romelle.

'I got a call about 1am. Malay is going to see for herself, and I should be getting word at any time. If it is the bayard, we may need Black to go and get it,' Keith said.

'But with no Black paladin, that will be impossible,' Romelle said.

'I think he'd let Keith fly him again,' Lance said.

Shiro scrubbed at his cheek. 'You're probably right, but we don't want him to end up and Black's paladin.'

'I doubt that would happen,' said Keith. 'They didn't want me flying anymore, so I think if I explain the situation, Black will be okay with it. We can cross that bridge when we come to it. I will keep you both in the loop when I find out more information.'

A few minutes later, they said their goodbyes and watched Shiro's ship leave. Veronica ran up to her room crying, while Marco just got on with sorting more of his room.

During lunch, Keith received a message and a photo from Malay. The item under the force field was indeed the black bayard. He sent a message to Romelle and Shiro and it caused a flurry of excitement. They didn't want to lose the opportunity to retrieve it, so it was arranged for all of them, including the new paladins, to meet at the Castle at 1pm.

Veronica was appalled when Marco brought a couple of boxes with them to put into his room.

'How can you be so calm about this?' she demanded as she followed him up to his room.

Keith had provided the coordinates to Romelle, and they were now taking off.

'I'm not calm about it,' said Marco. 'I'm just not fighting it. Lance is right, we put ourselves in a position to be chosen, so now we have to suck it up and do this.'

'We're not fighters,' she protested. 'We can't do this.'

Marco turned to her. 'I plan to make a go of this V. If you can't or don't want to, then you need to work that out for yourself, but don't involve me in your decision.'

She followed him quietly back down to the control room. Matt was already there chatting and laughing with Lance, and they walked over to join them.

'Did you find your rooms?' asked Matt.

'Yep, all good. It will be a novelty to have a bathroom to myself,' Marco laughed.

'I know, you wouldn't think it, but Katie can spend forever in there,' Matt said.

They came out above a gloomy looking planet and Romelle scanned for any danger in the area.

'Seems clear,' she said. 'I've signalled to Malay and opened the hanger.'

'Let's go talk to Black,' Keith said.

'I will go an meet the Blade,' Naroc said.

They went into Black's hanger, and while the others stood by the door, Keith moved to stand in front of him.

'I know why you are here,' Black said in Keith's mind.

'I guessed you probably would.' Keith didn't need to say the words out loud for Black to hear him.

'I cannot allow you to pilot me in your condition.'

'I'm perfectly capable to pilot you to go and retrieve the bayard,' he replied testily.

'The forcefield surrounding the bayard will emit high energy levels. I will not endanger your kits.'

'Then, Shiro...'

'No.'

'We have to go get the bayard.'

'There are two paladins we will allow to fly us whenever they please. You and your mate.'

'So...we can fly you whenever we want?'

'Correct. We belong to you.'

That was not what Keith expected Black to say.

'But, King Alfor created you.'

'Yes, but we choose our paladins. The connection is an emotional one, rather then a physical one. We live through our paladins. Your emotional, and physical connection with your mate is strong. When we healed you with your mate there, our connection became intertwined.'

Keith sighed. 'You realise Lance is going to be hell to live with when I tell him this.'

Black's rumbling laugh echoed through his head.

He joined the others. 'We should go find the others.'

'That doesn't sound good,' Lance said.

'Hmm, oh, no it's fine. Just an explanation is needed,' Keith said.

They found Malay, Naran, and Narco in the control room.

When Keith slipped into the seat at Red's control panel with a sigh, Lance worried but remained silent.

Keith then explained what happened with Black.

'You own the lions?' asked Romelle.

'Apparently.'

'I get to fly Black,' Lance said, suddenly. A huge grin found its way onto his face.

Keith smiled at the delight in Lance's eyes. He wondered if it was possible to fall in love with someone more and more every day.

'Can we get back to you owning the lions.' Romelle said.

'I was as shocked as you are,' said Keith, 'but that's what he said.'

'I'm not sure how uncle will take this news,' muttered Romelle. 'We will need to deal with that later though. For now, Lance you better suit up. You will need to wear the black armour so the bayard recognises you as Black's paladin.

'I'll follow you down in Red,' Keith said.

'Keith, I don't think...' began Shiro.

Keith looked at him and raised one eyebrow.

'Your pregnant...' tried Shiro.

'Why do people say that like I don't know?' asked Keith. He stood from the seat. 'I'm pregnant, not disabled. I'm not going to put their lives at risk, but I am going down their with Lance.'

He didn't wait for a reply and marched out of the control room, with Lance running after him.

'Okay, baby, what's with the attitude?' asked Lance when he caught up with him.

'I'm sick of people telling me what I can and can't do like I'm a flaming invalid,' Keith raged.

They walked into the armour room and Keith stopped and turned to Lance.

'I know I wouldn't actually go,' he said. 'I doubt Red would let me fly her any way. I'm just frustrated that all.'

'I know, baby.' Lance pulled him gently into a hug. 'You're not built for sitting around and letting others do everything.'

Keith's arms tightened around Lance's waist.

'I don't want you to go alone,' he muttered. 'What if something happens to you?'

'I'll take Malay or Naran with me,' said Lance. 'You don't have to worry, okay.'

Keith nodded and sniffed. 'I hate hormones.'