32. Interlude

Ben pushed past the guard, heading straight down to the room where the door gaped open. This had to be Eldor's rooms. "Maybe we can still catch him!"

"Well, we could try, I suppose." Lucian sounded doubtful.

A large floor length mirror, with its protective curtain pushed to one side, caught Ben's immediate attention. Fueled by determination, Ben strode forward.

"Careful, please! Don't break that one!" Lucian pleaded. "That's a very valuable mirror. It would be hard to replace."

Ben laughed. "I'll be gentle," he promised. He stretched out both hands as if he were about to dive into a pool and carefully eased through. He stepped out into the dark space and paused for a moment but all was quiet behind him, no sound of breaking glass. Ben allowed himself a small smile of satisfaction. He was getting the hang of this! Unfortunately, there was no sign of Eldor. All he could see were the mirror lights and his own trails leading back and forth. He could detect no other trails at all.

He turned around to see if Lucian had followed but could see nothing except the glow from the mirror. He waited for several minutes but eventually decided that Lucian must have stayed behind for some reason. Either that, or he was invisible to him in this strange space between the worlds. Ben made up his mind then and there that if ever he and Lucian decided to go exploring together, they would keep a firm grip on each other.

"Lucian?" His voice sounded odd, echoing, as if he were talking while wearing headphones.

There was no answer. Ben shrugged, there was no point staying here any longer by himself, and he slipped back through the mirror.

Lucian was waiting on the other side, a hopeful expression on his face. "Any trace?"

Ben shook his head. "No. I could only see the trails I'd left myself."

"That's all I ever see, too," Lucian confessed. "But I hoped it might be different for you. Never mind, I'll alert the other mages to be on the lookout for him. I can't see Eldor hiding his light under a bushel for long, he's sure to make an appearance sooner or later."

"True."

Ben's stomach gave a loud rumble and Lucian laughed.

"Well, let's go and stop by my quarters and then we'll find you something to eat in the kitchen."

Lucian's quarters were similar to those belonging to the Guild Master and Eldor. The first room was set up as a study, complete with desk and crowded shelves. A rectangular mirror, about the same size as a modern day laptop, lay in the centre of the desk. A curtained doorway led to a small bedroom beyond, containing a single bed and a clothes rack. To Ben's eyes, there didn't appear to be much room for a second bed, unless it was very narrow.

"I think we'll set you up in my study," said Lucian, frowning as he looked around the small bedroom. "As I said, I expect it will only be for a day or two until the Guild Master arranges something more permanent for you."

Evidently, he caught something quizzical in Ben's expression. "Not quite what I was accustomed to at Wentworth Manor, is it? Still, I've adjusted over the years and I spend a lot of my time elsewhere in any case. It's not too bad. Our personal quarters are really just for sleeping and private study. We have a Refectory for communal meals and a Common Room for sitting and chatting. Leave your bag here and I'll show you."

Ben followed Lucian down the stairs.

"Can I ask, what exactly are your duties as a Mage?"

"Well, teaching of course, but I suppose you could say our prime role is providing communication between the Holds and the towns. We're a bit like the English Royal Mail service, but instead of letters we deliver messages and information through the glass. Tower Vierrac is our headquarters, but any Hold or Keep who can afford it will have their own Mage and possibly an apprentice or two, like Rider's Keep."

Ben was aware of a slight feeling of disappointment. Somehow, he'd thought it was going to be more adventurous than delivering messages. And teaching was all very well, but he didn't know enough about how magic worked in Vierrac for his own part, let alone know enough to teach anybody else.

They crossed the courtyard to a square, squat building in the middle. Ben could see the air shimmering above one part and guessed that was where the kitchens must be located. The small entrance hall was paved with flagstones. An open door on the right revealed a number of wooden tables and benches, evidently the refectory but the mouth-watering smell of roasting meat drifting through the closed door to their left, drew Ben like a magnet.

"Can we go in now or must we wait for dinner time?"

Lucian put his hand against the door and smiled. "I'm sure they can spare a slice or two now." He pushed the door open and a flurry of hot moist air engulfed them. The room was a hive of activity. Smocked apprentices dashed from one place to another, carrying empty trays or boxes of vegetables while others stood beside a huge fireplace, pouring juices over a joint of meat which revolved slowly on a metal spit. A tall man wearing a stained apron and an impatient frown, stood at a workbench, watching two young lads attempt to slice onions and on the far side, away from the fire, a woman carried several pies into what appeared to be a cool room.

Copper pans hung from the walls and giant cauldrons were stacked one on top of the other in a corner. "Master Felik?" Lucian addressed the tall man, raising his voice to be heard above the clatter. "Can we trouble you for a slice of meat and a piece or two of bread? This is Ben Lucas, a new Mage from the mirror worlds and he has yet to eat today."

The cook's frown turned into a smile at the sight of Lucian. "Mage Athol. Of course." He looked curiously at Ben, then called to one of the apprentices.

"Here, Kendra, fetch Mage Lucas something to eat would you?"

Ben watched with interest as Kendra deftly sliced a large chunk from the roast. He had no idea what the animal was, some sort of cow or sheep perhaps or maybe a deer, but in any case it smelled heavenly. A few moments later, Ben was wolfing down the hot meat, sandwiched between two pieces of thick bread.

"Thank you! That was delicious!" said Ben, licking his fingers. The cooks smiled.

Ben was just debating whether he would seem greedy to ask for a second sandwich, when a young lad burst in through the door. Between gasps, he managed to deliver his message.

"Mage Athol! Thou are needed urgently in the scrying room. There's trouble at Rider's Keep!"