Two Hours to Midnight

Start from the beginning

"I can't believe this..." He groaned dropping his head.

Amaya's shoulders shook with laughter.

"You are chronically lazy."

He shot her a look as he stood up straight, watching as Naruto approached from the staircase down the balcony from them.

"Nice job Naruto," He hummed with a small smile. Amaya narrowed her eyes, that's not what you were saying a second ago...

With a sly smile, her eyes drifted from Shikamaru's to the Uzumaki's.

"That was fantastic Naruto! I knew you could pull it out!" She grinned pulling him into a bear hug. "Yeah.. it was great."  The boy giggled scratching his pink-dusted cheek.

As things settled with the finalists... it was the crowd that became restless.

"What the hell is Sasuke thinking..." Shikamaru murmured looking out at the ruffled crowd. Amaya shook her head as her mind drifted to her quiet teammate.

What do you think you're doing Sasuke... She thought. Come to think of it, she hadn't seen Kakashi either. Gritting her teeth, she crossed her arms and blew out a sigh. Her mood became even worse as Genma announced the postponing of the match... Great, that means my fights just one away...

As Genma announced the next match, Amaya couldn't help but look to the right at her soon-to-be opponent. But, to her shock, the older girl was a lot closer than she had been the last time she checked... and she was already looking her way.

Her blood ran cold as her golden eyes clashed with the newcomer's piercing green ones. Since the finalists had arrived, Niza had settled down by the wall- well away from everyone else. But now, she was only a few paces to the girl's left. Amaya promptly took a step to the right- her side bumping with Shikamaru's and her eyes never leaving that green haze they were now lost in.

To her utter discomfort, Niza's full lips rose into a small smirk, all before parting.

"Ishikawa... what kind of name is that?" Her voice was on the deeper side, with a small rasp- and it held an unwavering confidence that made Amaya's blood boil. What the hell is up with this chick?!

Though Shikamaru and Naruto had been murmuring amongst themselves, upon hearing the new girl speak- they turned their heads to the two.

"I don't see how that's any of your concern," Amaya answered, feigning disinterest. Her eyes were hard as she leaned down against the rail.

The Nara cringed at her tone, even more so at the look Niza gained upon hearing it. This is bad...

"Just curious, sounded familiar is all." The blue-haired girl hummed innocently, redirecting her eyes to the arena. Though despite her looking away, Amaya didn't. She stood staring, letting her eyes bore into the side of her face- she knew she could feel it, and she loved every second the girl pretended she didn't.

"Due to Konkuro's withdrawal- the next match will proceed."

Amaya's eyes shot to Genma, whose irritated face she could make out even up in the nosebleeds. What?!

"Matzukemi Niza and Ishikawa Amaya, come take your places in the arena." He called, eyes drifting up to the finalist's balcony.

"Looks like we're up, Ishikawa." The blue-haired girl sang with a sickeningly sweet smile, before jumping the rail and trotting to the middle of the open space. Shikamaru watched Amaya's face with blooming concern. She gripped the rail, looking down at her opponent with eyes he hadn't seen since the beginning of the second exam.