Devil Fruit Encyclopedia

Today we will be looking at the Obake Obake no mi (Ghost Ghost fruit)

Type: Paramecia.

This fruit allows to user to take pieces of their soul and make Obake (Spirits).

The most common and easiest Obake to create are Tsukumogami (living inanimate object). The user simply has to implant a piece of their soul into an object and they come to life. However if the object breaks, the soul will leave the object and return to the user.

The more difficult Obake to create are the Yokai. These are creatures made from pure soul. They are much more powerful and versatile than the Tsukumogami but need more effort to conjure. 

The Tsukumogami have objects to use as a soft of crutch, making it easier for them to materialize, yet far more fragile.

Yokai do not have anything like that. They need to be conjured by the users soul alone but are much more tougher than the simple Tsukumogami.

The user needs to let the soul or "wisp" flow out of them naturally. Attempting to forcefully extract it will cause the wisp to bunch up, being tangled in itself and eventually bursting.

The most common way to help the wisp flow out naturally is for the user to sing.

A warning: The Obake are being created by the users soul so there is a danger that the user will use too much of they're soul and end up dying.

Researchers have theorized this particular Devil Fruit has a strong connection to another kind in the paramecia family. This theory however is still being researched.