Chapter Thirteen: Making The Team

Rooster saw me the morning before training, saying he promised to give the others a status update once he got back. And then I was alone once more. That was happening too much, and I cursed the fact that I wasn't able to get in a wheelchair or use some crutches to go down there and observe.

    So, I slept. At some point I couldn't sleep so I watched something on the little corner TV, a nurse having moved the remote over to where I could actually reach it.

    Overall, being immobile in a hospital was dreadful. Absolutely awful. The things used for entertainment like playing games on phones or reading were near impossible for me to do considering my limited arm usage. So this sucked.

    I started to try and drift back off to sleep when there was a knock on my door. My eyes immediately opened and I saw Rooster standing there. "Hey!" I said, instantly waking back up and pushing myself to sit up a bit.

    He came over and sat in his usual chair. By the look on his face, I could tell something major happened. "What's wrong? What happened?" I asked. "I swear if someone got hurt-"

    "No, no, nothing like that," he said, shaking his head and removing my fears. "Actually... well, I don't know if it's good or bad yet. But, Maverick was removed as Captain and grounded." I started to gasp, but Rooster held up a hand. "Then he stole a jet and flew the entire course in the less then two minutes and fifteen seconds, even hitting the target."

    My eyes were wide and jaw wide open. "No way... how'd that go over with the Admirals?" I asked next, scared Maverick would be dishonorably discharged.

    Rooster shrugged. "Pretty sure Cyclone wants him dead, but Warlock looked impressed. I think he was cheering Mav on. But as soon as Maverick said he was landing, they were both out of there. Guess we'll hear late tonight or tomorrow what's happening."

    I nodded. "What if, and call me crazy... but what if Maverick becomes the team leader?" I asked.

    Bradley paused, thinking about my words. "That's... that's not a bad idea, actually. I wouldn't be very surprised considering the only other person to be successful in training was you and, well..." His sentence trailed off, not knowing how to continue.

    I smiled and finished it for him. "I'm not exactly flight ready?" A sheepish smile and blush grew on his face. "It's fine, Rooster. I know and there's nothing I can do so it's fine. Besides, that's not the focus. The focus is who else would be on the team."

    "I hope it's not Hangman," was Bradley's immediate reply.

    I hit his arm. "Hey now, cut him some slack. With a mission like this you never know what a person will do for their team," I said. Hangman had been growing on me, especially after seeing his vulnerable side the day before. There was a part of me that possibly considered him a friend, even.

    Rooster rubbing his arm theatrically, but then relented. "Fine, you make a good point. So it very well could be him. If Maverick becomes team leader, would he really want to pick me, though?"

    That was an intense question. I sighed as I thought for a second. "I mean, I could see either side. You have to remember, Bradley, he's not just your Captain or team leader, he'd consider you his family. And that's a scary thing, voluntarily sending your family out to an extremely dangerous mission.

    "But he also knows how good of a pilot you are. Just... stop being so careful and push yourself for once. You know that's what the mission needs and I know you have that in you," I said. "Hangman was right- he flies like his life depends on it, but so do you. They're just two different kinds of flying. Maybe take a little page out of his book and light a fire under your ass."