Chapter 6: Proof To Live

Start from the beginning

"What's that?"  She didn't look happy about being interrupted but answered anyway.

"It's when a full human is given vampire blood before they die, this usually kills the human because they should be dead but they're not so each side fights for dominance and both lose.  Rosalie was lucky, she lived."

"Then, wouldn't I be a botched turning?"  

"I don't know, I'm not super well versed in vampire biology.  But what I do know, is that you defied the odds by just being born, even more by making it to 17.  Anyway, all the odds were out of her favour but the day after she arrived at the kingdom, she killed the king, thus forcing a competition."

"But how did she take him down?"

"No one knows, but the king was besotted with her because of her beauty and cold, coniving personality so many think that she betrayed him."

_______________________

The next morning, we set off to the vampire kingdom. Each night of the ride, I trained until I bled.

2 weeks later, we arrived in front of the forest that bars the castle from the rest of the world. The vampire castle is in a town called Grimswood which was bought by the first vampire king. Surrounded by dense forests and apparently, you can only find it if you have supernatural blood running through your veins.

My anxiety spiked at the thought of having to introduce myself.  What if they refuse to let me join? What if I can't persuade them? What if I lose?  Whatever, fake it til' you make it.

Me and Aunt Lilliana exit the car and walk into the forest. Just upon entering, it felt as though the forest was saying 'welcome home'.   The trees turned to face me and the few, living rose bushes turned to face me.  We walked further in until I suddenly heard rustling.

"Wait" I hold up my hand and listen.

A bow being drawn.

I lunged, pulling Aunt Lilliana with me just before they released.  The arrow embedded itself into the bark of the tree behind us.

"Wait! We aren't here to hurt anyone." I say as I raise up my hands in surrender.

3 people come out with their bows up ready to shoot at any moment, they seem around my age but I knew better, they were likely decades to centuries older.

"Tell me why we should spare you." A red-headed girl says.

Aunt Lilliana speaks this time, "She is your princess, the daughter of that wretch Rosalie. We came for her to compete in the ruler competition."

The red-head did not like that, she pressed the bow and arrow so the cool metal was right in front of my aunt's head.  "Sh-She's sorry."  I rushed out, nearly shaking with fear.  "But Rosalie, your queen, is my mother."

Suddenly, a curly-haired boy with dark skin doubles over laughing. "Sorry, Sorry. It's just absurd to imagine the old hag loving anyone" He says.

I was a little miffed that he would speak of my mother that way, especially when she loved her people so much, but I don't let it show on my face in case they take it as a form of disrespect.

"Blake, that is our queen you are speaking of! Have some respect." The red head yells at him.

"Guys, please stop." Another guy, this time with straight black hair, and the same brown skintone as 'Blake', pleads.  "What if the criminals get away while you fight?  Don't forget about last time." 

"Your right, now, let's get on with this interrogation. Why do you say you are Rosalie's child?"

I began telling the story of how everything unfolded once again, I was starting to get really good at it from having to explain so many times.  Then, I hand them the tin with my mother's things, hoping they don't throw them away if they don't believe me.

"She knows Vance," Blake whispered to his partners.  "And she looks uncannily like them." 

They open the tin and inspect the items. "I honestly believe it." The guy who's name I don't know admitted.

"Yea, it seems legit.  Let's take her to the Elders for the final say, though." The red-haired girl nodded.

Thank god, this wasn't for nothing.

"By the way, your plus one can't come" Blake turns to me.

"But I need her, I can't win the competition without her."

"Sorry, no can do.   'less she's food, of course." He grinned, clearly amused at his joke.

I was horrified at his callousness, at how easy it was for him to see my family as food.  Is this how all vampires are?  Sadly, even asking myself this question, all I thought was yes.  "But-" I tried to continue before Aunt Lilliana stopped me.

"It's okay, you'll be great no matter what." She smiled and patted my arm, it was an expression I have seen on her less than the number of fingers on one hand. "I will stay in a hotel nearby until the competition, meet me if you need help and call regularly.  Don't forget to practice your magic, too."

"Fine." I reluctantly said.

"Great!" The redhead said sarcastically.  "Now, let's go"

What a kind bunch, I thought and followed, with one last small wave to Aunt Lilliana.

______________________

Hello everyone,

I hope you enjoyed this chapter.  What do you think of the characters/story so far?  Also, there is romance, but it comes a few chapters after the set up so don't give up if that's what you're waiting for.  As always, please vote if you liked this chapter and add it to your lists, and comment any thoughts or (kind) advice/critiques you have.

Thanks for reading,

Kaylee :)