Chapter 18: The Figure

Jiwoo immediately brings her hands out, vines spewing from her palms. But before she can think of what to do next, an intense pain runs through her skull.

She tries pulling her hands back, but she can't. She can't move.

Then, her body starts moving for her. Her arms stiffen against her sides, her legs become straight, and her torso rearranges. The only thing she can move is her head. It's as if she has been chained to her own body.

She looks around and sees everyone in the same unified position, their body straight.

"Let us fucking go!" Sooyoung yells.

"No," it simply says.

The hood on its head covers every feature, except the menacing lips.

"You may ask why I'm dressed like a stereotypical villain, but it's for a purpose," it says very slowly. "For a little surprise."

It comes closer. Jiwoo tries using every muscle of her body to get out of the bind.

But the figure doesn't head for her, it heads for Hyunjin.

"I'm not a villain, Hyunjin. I never was and never will be. You were the foolish one. How foolish," it says, keeping the slow, deliberate pace. "You managed to actually believe I was your mom. Incredible."

And right as she says the last word, Jiwoo sees everyone widen their eyes.

"A surprise for you guys right?" it takes off its hood and reveals an annoyingly beautiful face.

Jiwoo wishes she can say that the woman is ugly, but she can't. Perfectly clear skin, big chocolate eyes, and a sharp jawline.

"I'm a bit shocked that almost all of you managed to make it out of there," she smiles. "Almost."

"Shut the fuck up!" Sooyoung yells again.

Jiwoo knows how close Jungeun and Sooyoung were. She refuses to believe that she and Jinsoul are dead.

"What did you do with Kahei!" Haseul yells.

"Oh her? She doesn't matter, but you know who does matter?" she turns to her left. "This little precious one right here."

Jiwoo watches as she walks towards Yerim, the sunshine smile gone.

When the woman came about a foot away from Yerim, she says, "How did you get your element back?"

"I don't know," Yerim responds, avoiding her gaze but keeping a confident tone.

She scoffs. "You don't know? You can't just say that after managing to break out of an element bind."

"That's the truth," Yerim responds again, with a louder voice.

"No. Say the real truth or else," she says.

"That's the real truth."

And then, she punches Yerim in the face. Jiwoo could see drops of blood flying through the air. What pains Jiwoo most is her inability to help. She tries kicking, pulling, and pushing, but her body wouldn't budge.

Yerim turns back towards the woman, blood smeared on her jawbone. She doesn't cry. She doesn't yell. She didn't even flinch when the fist came in contact.

The woman sighs.

"You, nowadays. You're even more stubborn than you were before," she turns around.

Jiwoo stares at Yerim. She is only a few away, but she can't heal her.

Jungeun, Jinsoul, Kahei, where are you?

Jiwoo tries once again to budge out of the bind.

And then, a flicker of movement moves out of the corner of her eye. She quickly turns her head to the left and sees Jungeun.

Jungeun carries a body with both of her arms and sets it carefully on the floor. As she steps back up, Jiwoo can see how different she looks.

Her shirt from earlier is stained with crimson. As well as her leggings. Even splatters of the menacing red paint her face and arms.

But the thing that stands out most is her eyes.

The black pupils seem to slice through the air, a ray of fury blazing out.

"Oh," the woman says. "Didn't think I would see you here."

"You," Jungeun almost yells.

"Oh me?"

"How do you fucking feel about killing someone!" Jungeun screams.

Her legs are shaking, and so is the arm that points to the woman. Jiwoo can almost see the rage seeping out of her spine.

And then, Jiwoo realizes. As she stares at the body on the floor, a pit in her stomach forms and starts growing heavy. So heavy.

Jinsoul had saved her before, so why couldn't Jiwoo have saved her now?

Tears form at the corner of her eyes, but she shakes them away.

The woman replies calmly, "I didn't kill her."

"Yes, you fucking did!" Jungeun screams again.

The glow from Jungeun's eyes blaze with wrath. Not only wrath but a little bit of insanity.

The woman rolls her eyes and pulls her hand out.

Jiwoo can see Jungeun's arms slowly move to her sides, but then, she disappears.

Jiwoo looks around, trying to find her.

A punch echoes through the rainforest. Jiwoo turns around to see the woman holding the side of her cheek.

And maybe for a split second, Jiwoo can see fear flash in the woman's eyes, but they quickly return to the glaring pupils.

"Oh honey, you can't mess with me like that," she says.

But right after she finishes her sentence, she stumbles forward.

Kahei

Kahei stands behind the woman, her hands out.

The woman glares.

Jiwoo feels the bind around her body tighten and watches as both Jungeun and Kahei get tied in the bind.

"That's more like it," she says. "You guys are still as dumb as before."

Jiwoo tilts her head curiously.

What does she mean by that?

Then, time freezes. Or at least Jiwoo thinks so. Everything stops.

An intense pain runs through her head, and her vision starts turning white.