Chapter 8: What To Do?

"Go to lane 11 over there," the employee says.

"Thank you," Chaewon says and starts walking over.

Hyeju says, "Out of all the places, a bowling alley."

Chaewon just ignores her and picks up a turquoise bowling ball.

The lanes are quiet, only the footsteps of the two girls echo through the room.

Chaewon lines herself up, winds back the ball, and releases it.

The ball glides across the floor and falls into the gutter.

"Really? Let me try," Hyeju says.

She grabs a yellow ball and hurls it not-so-gracefully at the bowling pins.

To Chaewon's surprise, the ball knocks down 5 pins.

Hyeju turns around and says, "In your face."

Chaewon already has another bowling ball in her hands as she sets up for the next shot.

She sends the ball.

9 pins crash to the ground.

She turns around and smirks, "You have too big of an ego, Hyeju."

"Game on," Hyeju says.

She then knocks down 8 pins.

Chaewon tosses the ball.

Into the gutter.

She looks back to see Hyeju, with a slight smile on her face.

"Yah, stop trying to hold in your laugh," Chaewon says.

"Sorry, I can't help it. That shot was just depressing," Hyeju says, releasing the smile.

The bowling game continues for the next 10 minutes. It eventually just turns into an incredibly competitive game, with both sides making fun of each other.

It leads to both of them being tied, and all Chaewon has to do is get 1 pin.

She lines up, carefully placing her left foot in front.

The ball sails, so promisingly, towards the pins.

But somehow, the ball makes a sharp turn to the left and drops into the gutter.

"Yes!" Hyeju yells and starts laughing.

Chaewon can't help but laugh too.

Their laughs echo through the silent bowling alley.

"How?" Hyeju says, between her laughs. "How is that possible?"

"Ok, that doesn't count. We have to do a rematch," Chaewon says, smiling.

"Oh it's on," Hyeju says, with a bright smile on her face. "Whoever loses has to buy some ice cream for the other."

"Deal."

Just as she's about to pick up a bowling ball, Chaewon hears a huge clang.

"What th-" Hyeju starts, before ducking, missing a beam of light by just a few inches.

Chaewon turns around to see three people.

Not these guys again.

This time, with all the training, Chaewon feels a bit more confident.

One of the guys sprints for her. He throws his palm out, releasing a beam of light. Chaewon dashes to the side and slides to his right side. A sudden spark of pain ripples through her shoulder from his fist.

She clutches her shoulder. Using her good arm, she blocks his kick to her side. She crouches, his punch impacting the air. Seeing a chance, she winds her leg back and releases the power to his side. He gets knocked back slightly, giving her another opportunity. She punches him directly in the face. She throws another, but he ducks and seizes her arm.