Chapter 17: Red

Kahei presses the earpiece repeatedly.

"Hello? Hello?" she asks.

A static screech rings in her ear and she quickly yanks the earpiece out. She sees Haseul has done the same.

"What do you think happened?" Haseul asks.

Kahei stands up. "Not sure. We have to see if they're okay. We're of no use here. The cameras have gone out."

She looks at the blank screens.

And suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, Kahei sees a blur. The same blur she had seen a day ago.

"Wha-"

She feels her arm gets pulled to the side, behind a tree. Her cheeks go red from being so close to Haseul.

"You don't know what he could do," Haseul whispers.

"I'm going after him," Kahei says.

"No!"

Kahei flinches from the sudden rise in her voice.

Haseul notices, "Sorry, I just don't want you to go in there. It's dangerous."

"I promise I'll be back, okay?"

"No, what will he do to you if he finds you?"

"I'll use my lunar manipulation to turn invisible. It'll be fine," Kahei reassures her.

Haseul pauses.

She's so pretty.

What? Not the time right now Kahei

"Alright. Pinky promise you'll be safe?" Haseul asks and raises her pinky.

"Pinky promise," Kahei says and interlocks her pinky with Haseul's.

Kahei disappears and runs in the direction of the blur.

. . .

Chaewon finds herself running, Hyeju right by her side.

I will never run again after this

She turns around and creates a wall of ice from the ground, blocking the hallway. She whips back and continues the never-ending cycle of pushing one foot off the ground after the other.

They eventually run into a large room, with an incredibly tall ceiling. Chaewon skids to a stop, hearing Hyeju slam the door behind them.

Chaewon stays still for a few moments, something brewing inside her. Something strange.

Why does this seem familiar?

"Is it just me or does this place look familiar?" Hyeju asks.

"Not just you."

It hadn't even been a second after Chaewon finished her last word before a group of men walk through the door.

"There they are!" one yells.

Chaewon releases a burst of icicles at the agents, spreading them out. She heads for one of them, their eyes glowing a bright light.

She slides, missing a beam of light by inches. She pushes her hands forward, creating an ice shield that gets destroyed in seconds by the pulsating light.

She sprints and kicks to his side with ice running along her heel. He gets knocked to the right, ice creeping up his spine.

She looks over at Hyeju and sees a wink.