16-Turn Around

I wipe the sweat off my forehead as I try to get orders out to customers

I wipe the sweat off my forehead as I try to get orders out to customers. It's 8 o'clock at night and I'm still working. One of my coworkers called in sick last minute and I had to cover for her. I'm on the verge of a breakdown because this place is open till 10 PM and I haven't even been on my lunch break. 

My boss told me most of the lunch breaks synced up so I had to skip mine. I kept asking her If I could just eat a small snack because I haven't eaten anything since breakfast but she yelled at me to not ask her again and to get back to work. 

That was two hours ago.

I already know my phone is blowing up with texts and calls from Sydney and Zane. And I can feel my stomach turning inside me with hunger. 

Tears slip out of my eyes but I wipe them away quickly as I take more drinks out to the customers. 

"Here you are ma'am, a mocha latte," I say as I had the lady her drink. I go to walk away but get pulled back by a hand. "Excuse me! Where's my croissant!? I ordered one and I expect to get one!" she yells at me. "I know, I'm sorry ma'am I'll bring that out right now," I say as I turn to walk away. 

"I wasn't done talking to you!" I look back at the lady only to be met with her latte all over my face. 

I feel my body heat up in embarrassment and sadness, but mostly rage. I look down at my now-soaked outfit and ruined shoes. I look back up at her with my jaw on the floor and her face in a smirk holding the now empty coffee cup.

I clench my fists. "Sorry girlie, I didn't mean to," she says then laughs. My lip trembles but not in sadness but in a new-found rage. I see red as she continues laughing at me. 

She goes to turn away but my fist reaches up to her face before she can do so. The punch knocks her to the ground as she looks up at me with teary eyes and her hands on her face. I bend down to her level with my hands on my knees "Sorry girlie, I didn't mean to," I say. I walk to the back grab my belongings and leave. 

I walk out the door knowing I'm already about to be fired. I know my boss will call me in less than five minutes and fire me. 

But as I walk with the air hitting my soaked clothes I feel more tears prick at my eyes. I let the tears fall as I wrap my naked arms around my body for warmth. I continue to sob as I reach Zane's house. I walk in the door to see him pacing in the kitchen. 

He looks up at me and his worried expression changes into shock. He speed walks up to me as I stay frozen in place. He hugs me tight despite his clothes getting wet. "Hey, hey, Laney what happened? Talk to me," He says hugging me. 

I don't trust my voice as I continue crying in his arms. "S-she w-wa-s m-mean to m-me," my voice breaks. "Baby, I would have picked you up if you asked me to," he says. "No, my b-boss made m-me work o-over time. A-and a lady threw h-her drink at m-me." 

"I-I'm going to get f-fired," I start to sob even harder. "Shhhhh It's ok we'll figure it out. But in the meantime, I'll run you a bath," He slowly pulls me out of the hug but takes my hand leading me to my room. 

We go into the bathroom connected to my room and he turns on the bath. He crouches and feels the temperature with his hand then turns to me. He stands back up and then places a soft kiss on the top of my head. He turns to leave but I grab his hand. 

"Please stay with me. You don't have to look but stay with me," I say. "I will," He whispers sending vibrations through my body. "I'm going to turn around and cover my eyes so you can get undressed and get in," he says with his back turned to me. I slowly peel my clothes off and set them on the counter next to the mirror. 

I dip my foot in and feel how perfect the temperature is. I get in fully still seeing him with his back turned to me. "You can turn around."

-------------------

Is this considered a cliffhanger? 

QOTC: Daytime or Nighttime? 

Follow my TikTok account: bookstar333