20. The end...

AJ
Even after quitting my job at the BAU, I still remained in contact with everyone, especially Penelope, Emily and JJ. When I heard that Spencer got suspended after refusing to work a case because of me, I got mad him, but my anger obviously didn't last.

———
(1 Year Later)

The last year had been difficult. I had joined the local police station, my experience from being with the BAU proving to help the police department arrest some less dangerous criminals, unlike the BAU.

Bailey was very happy to see me every day, our friendship only growing. As for my relationship with Spencer, well, it wasn't going as well as I hoped.

At first, everything was great. Spencer and I spent every moment outside of work together. Sometimes I feared that Bailey would leave because of the amount of sex that we had, considering we didn't see each other as often anymore. We'd have sex, - mostly in my bedroom of course - we'd cook together, shower together and do fun things that couples do.

Things started to change when the cases piled up. First, the cases occurred every 3-4 weeks. Then one case would end and Spencer only had 2-3 days before the next case forced them back in the jet. The final straw broke when Spencer finished a case and returned to the BAU, only spending a few hours in the building until he'd be forced back onto the plane because of a new case.

Many of our dates and other plans got cancelled. When Spencer and I discovered that we grew up across the street from each other, our plans to head home for a weekend got cancelled when he was called in for a case in Ohio.

"This, is my yearbook photo from when I was 8." Spencer and I sat on the couch, a movie playing in the background as we looked through some of my memories. I pointed to me as a little girl, wearing the nicest pants I owned, a white shirt and my hair in braids.

"I remember that day. Mrs Smith couldn't get Henry Simmons and Matthew Fry to stop pushing people onto the grass, dirtying their clothes." Spencer laughed, confusing me.

"Wait, you went to my school?" I was shocked.

"Yeah. Mrs Smith was my favourite teacher. She used to give me textbooks that were for older kids." Spencer smiled.

"Me too." I smiled, leaning in to kiss him.

"My neighbour across the street. I don't quite remember her name. The day we met, we refused to shake hands." Spencer looked away, obviously trying to remember.

"I said to her mom "It's okay. I don't like shaking hands with people." Spencer admitted.

"And then I said "Exactly. By touching things, you are coming into contact with millions of germs every day." I chuckled.

"And I interrupted you by saying "and those germs could spread to you or others and make people sick." Spencer and I looked at each other, dumbfounded.

"I then mocked you for interrupting me. Which I still remember to this day." I smirked.

"I can't believe you were the smart girl who lived across the street from me." Spencer smiled.

"I know! We should head home some time and see how much has changed." I offered, watching as Spencer nodded.

"Sounds like an amazing weekend in Las Vegas." Spencer kissed me.

Without Spencer or Hotch's knowledge, I got into contact with Haley, knowing that if anyone could give me advice, it'd be her.

I sat down in her home, explaining who I was.

"Well, AJ, it's nice to meet you." She smiled, shaking my hand.

The moment I explained why I wanted to talk to her, she exhaled. She seemed nervous. Her hands fidgeted and her gaze was all over the place. Although she seemed hesitant at first, she started talking about why her marriage with Hotch ended. Listening to her speak, her own experiences really matched my relationship with Spencer. Hotch started missing important moments in Jack and Haley's life, and now, Spencer was doing the same. He missed dates and special occasions due to the cases he worked.

As much as I hated to admit it, my relationship with Spencer was turning into a situation similar to Haley and Hotch's failing marriage.

"I hope I helped. I can tell by the way you described your relationship with Spencer that you needed help." Haley hugged me.

"You were very helpful, thank you." I smiled, leaving her home.

———

When Spencer entered the apartment, I let Bailey go to her room, watching as Spencer placed a loving kiss on my lips. He pulled back, a look of confusion on his face. It wasn't difficult for him to read the room and figure out that something was wrong, I mean, he's a profiler. It's literally his job.

"You haven't been this quiet since you quit your job a year ago. What is it AJ? You can talk to me." Spencer asked as he removed his jumper and started to undress, but I stopped him.

"This isn't working." I spat out, not knowing how else to tell him.

"What isn't working?" He pulled away, confused.

"This- Us." I gestured between him and I.

"What isn't working?" Spencer looked at me, his eyebrows furrowed.

"I don't want you to get mad when I say this, but our relationship is starting to remind me of Haley and Hotch's relationship before they divorced." I exhaled, Spencer scoffed.

"So- So what? We're over? Everything that we've been through, hiding our relationship, you quitting your job at the BAU, all of that was for nothing?" Spencer seemed more upset than I imagined he'd be.

"Spencer, you're always away. I barely get to see you anymore! And when I do, you're always called back for another case! I always wait up for you to get home. I'm losing sleep just hoping that you come home without getting hurt! I can't keep going on blind faith that you'll be okay." I explained.

"I love you, Spencer Reid, but I can't do this anymore. All I ask is that we remain friends." I held his hand, trying not to cry.

"S- Sure. I guess I can live with that." Spencer smiled, giving me a hug before he left the apartment, leaving me to cry. I hated having to break up with him, but it needed to be done, if not just for me, but for him as well.