13. The voicemail

AJ
With Hotch back as the Unit Chief of the BAU, JJ was ready to return to her previous position. Everyone was overjoyed when Hotch announced that he was returning to his position as the Unit Chief. We even had a little celebration at the nearest bar. Thinking that Spencer might get a little "action", Morgan and Prentiss sort of tricked him into having a little too much to drink, which resulted in me having to drive him home, although halfway through the drive, he basically begged me to let him stay at mine, considering mine and Bailey's apartment is 5 minutes closer than his. Of course, we explained our situation to Bailey, who was more than happy to keep it a secret.

4 hours later - at 5:45 am - JJ called us into work, giving us a new case that landed the BAU in Montana. The flight was long, and it involved a lot of me and Spencer exchanging loving glances at each other, while also trying to avoid the questions from Morgan, Prentiss and JJ. We had gone though a lot of the file, addressing the victims - four of them, one male and three females - addressing the COD and other things. I tried not to laugh as Spencer tried to pretend that he wasn't at all hungover, but everyone knew that he was.

Halfway through our flight, Spencer's head landed on my shoulder as he slept, clearly needing all the rest he could get. As much as I wanted to let him sleep on my shoulder, considering he was my boyfriend, I couldn't let the team suspect anything.

"Jesus, Reid!" I used my hand to push his head off my shoulder, watching as he quickly moved his head and opened his eyes.

"I'm up! I'm up!" He yelled as he looked around the plane, trying to keep his eyes open.

"Sure you are, Pretty Boy." Morgan laughed.

"Do we have any idea as to how long the UnSub might be holding his victims?" Rossi asked as Hotch flipped through the file, exhaling.

"A week. The UnSub holds each and every victim for a week, possibly holding multiple women at once." Hotch looked around at the group.

"What about the male? So far, the UnSub hasn't shown any escalation in victimology, so how is the male connected to all of this?" Prentiss questioned.

"We won't know until we get set up at the Miles City police department." JJ shook her head.

"Reid and AJ, you two go to the M.E, see if you can identify any other important details related to the COD. Morgan, Prentiss, go to the last crime scene, see if you can make any more connections. Rossi, JJ and I will head straight to the police department and get set up." Hotch instructed. I could feel Spencer's hand on my thigh as we prepared for landing. I tried not to react, in fear of Morgan or even Prentiss noticing, considering I was surrounded by profilers who could notice even the slightest change in behaviour.

The M.E visit was nothing special. We saw the bodies. Nothing stood out apart from the known COD. The only thing that seemed to be different was the way in which the man and the women were killed. While the women all had lacerations to their wrists and necks, the male seemed to have been shot point blank in the heart and forehead.

On our way to the precinct, we tried talking about the case, but all we could focus on was Spencer's idiotic behaviour on the plane, and the fact that one wrong move, and Morgan would have become suspicious.

As soon as the SUV was parked, Spencer and I walked calmly into the building, heading straight for Hotch, Rossi and JJ after flashing our badges.

"You two got anything with the COD?" Hotch asked as he looked between Spencer and I.

"Yeah. The only male died from a two gunshot wounds, one to the forehead, and one to the heart." Spencer started to talk, letting me take over.

"As for the three women, they all died with lacerations on their wrists. Official COD being hanged from a high ceiling or banister, a dark laceration mark around all three women's necks." I finished before my phone beeped, a message from the coroner appearing on the screen. Without any warning, I left the precinct, getting into my car.