Chapter 6.1 - The Prophecy (Prologue Island #6)

Golden sun groped past the columns into the interior of the room

Golden sun groped past the columns into the interior of the room. Large rugs of tanned hide covered the stone floors, and scissor chairs and stools were covered in wool and leather. A few colorfully decorated chests and shelves formed part of the otherwise sparse furnishings, much of it made of painted reeds. Vases resplendent on tall stands held plants with green leaves enlivened the room. On a sprawling table, countless rolls and piles of parchment, blueprints, and maps were stacked among measuring devices. A scribe sat a little apart at a table of his own, always looking up and seeming to jot down bits and pieces of the conversations - for whatever purpose.

"What is the situation?" asked the raspy voice of the chief court builder, as his gaze slid sternly over the numerous plans spread out on the table.

"Everything is going according to plan. The banks have already been refortified and the diverted streams returned to the Nile. Most of the damage has already been repaired. The delivery of materials from the quarry at Gebel el-Silsila will arrive soon and reconstruction can begin." another reported, pointing to a rustling parchment on which the structure of the ancient temple where they had encountered Seth's army and trapped him had been drawn.

"Part of the old temple and a few buildings on the edge of the Nile bank have been swept away. But they are manageable losses." explained one of the lowly builders, recognizable by his plainer clothing and lowered gaze. Nefertiri merely nodded, pleased to hear that her plan to stop Seth's invasion had left no major damage. It had been several weeks since the Nile had become her most powerful weapon against the desert god. Her injury had healed excellently thanks to the excellent healing arts in the palace and rarely caused her any trouble anymore. Now, however, they had to set about rebuilding Egypt and helping it regain its strength. Since her victory, the queen seemed convinced that Nefertiri was truly chosen or at least helpful - and so she now consulted with the builders about further plans.

With a dull reverberation, the guards at the great double door unexpectedly opened the gate. A man in wide, flowing robes entered and hurried toward the group. The noble coat of a leopard, which he wore over his shoulder, distinguished him at first glance as one of the high priests. The jewelry with the numerous symbols clinked with each step as he hurried with a worried expression. Stiffly, he bowed his head slightly as his eyes fastened on the unusual Egyptian.

"The queen wishes to see you. At once."

𓅊 𓆚 𓅃 𓅽 𓆣 𓃫 𓅒 𓆃

Hastily, she followed the high priest through the corridors of the queen's sprawling and imposing palace. Her footsteps echoed in the massive halls, whose columns were decorated with magnificent images. Lotus symbols and patterns, scenes of heroic battles, and awe-inspiring deities among massive statuettes of guards and effigies of Queen Cleopatra herself. The bright stone was rare, laboriously brought from distant quarries, and the structure so imposing that no one would doubt the divinity of the pharaohs, who after all walked the earth as representatives of the high gods themselves. Splendid colors, from turquoise to orange or even gold decorated every corner. Even rare animals could be found in the palace, on their way they hurriedly passed cats or even a peacock, whose colorful plumage blended into the splendor of the palace.