Chapter Ten - Devil is, as Devil does

Comincia dall'inizio

James loved his parents, they did their best. Even if his father was an idiot who let his company plummet into debt, and his mother was an oblivious woman who stood by him with no idea of what was to come. James never wanted to be like that.

Failure was just not an option.

As the plane started to descend and the seatbelt light came on, James was pulled out of his thoughts.

That was enough reminiscing for one day. He thought.

Moments later the plane landed and he was greeted by his men that he sent out there few days ago to clear the area. James stepped off the plane and was hit with the warm afternoon air. Spring was coming up and Los Angeles was a lot warmer than New York in these months. He hopped into the back of blacked out SUV, and his driver spurred into action. Manoeuvring the large car out of the air strip and heading down the Los Angeles streets.

They pulled up on the driveway in front of a large white cladded home, with pane widows and huge palm trees in front of it. It was one of many James real estates. He had more houses than he cared to remember, plummeting money into anything he could when he was bored. He hasn't visited this house in a particularly long time, LA was just not a place he came to often, but if the deal goes well then maybe he will have an excuse to visit this house more often.

James made a mental note to bring Fallon with him, the warm weather and the pool round the back, he was sure that she will love it.

He grabbed his suit case and headed in through the door. It was exactly as he remembered. Warm and spacious. Following the rounded steps to the second floor he dropped his suit case on the massive bed in the bedroom and headed straight for the shower. He felt clammy from the warm air that he was not used to.

The meeting was organised for 7:00pm, which meant that he was able to shower and get changed before heading back down to the SUV, collecting a few of his men and heading to the location they have a greed when the talks first started.

He met the other gang in what looked like an abandoned warehouse. By the time James has arrived with his men the other group were already there. Five men longing around the empty pallets inside the warehouse.The place was dimly lit, you could see the dust floating around in front of the yellow lights, and the metal box was more humid than the air outside making their shirts cling to their bodies.

''Gentlemen...'' James started as he headed towards them looking at each one of them. His men stayed by the SUV, as per James instructions earlier. His dark navy Armani suit unbuttoned, no tie and the first three buttons of his shirt undone, exposing his tattoos that threatened to creep up past the white fabric. James extended his tattooed hand, to the one that was obviously the boss, rings adoring some of his fingers. '' Lovely to finally meet you in person Mr Hofman'' James voice was strong.

''Likewise Mr. Barnes'' The other man shook his hand. He was wearing a suit that looked like a cheap knock off. His salt and pepper hair slicked back.

''Please, call me James'' He smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes.

James looked around the place, hospitality is clearly not their strong suit. No chairs, or desk, no refreshments either. He took better care of his enemies than these punks.

''I have strongly considered your offer'' The man got straight to the point.

''No beating around the bush I like it. '' James pulled a cigarette holder from the pocket of his suit, tapping the cancer stick out and then lighting it. The mugginess of the air and smoke, was a horrible combination but old habits die hard.

''The only way we will do business with you... James'' The man said somewhat smug, letting the name roll of his tongue with distain. '' If you agree to 50-50''