Chapter 29: The endless sorrow

Acrux's POV

It was another day, determined to speak, but without finding courage or opportunity. I hadn't even been able to sleep well again, thinking over and over about what Rosy would be doing on her date with John. I wished I could go and look for them, but I didn't know the city, and with no address, I might not have located her all night. Still, I was dying to know.

My anger increased when this morning I saw John hanging around happily. And there I was, without paying attention to Max's explanations, frustrated and self-torturing myself, thinking about Rosy with John, laughing, talking, and maybe even hugging. She had hugged me before. She was a very sweet girl, and perhaps he took advantage of that too... That was why he had her scent that day.

The pencil in my fingers snapped like a toothpick and fell. I grunted and grabbed another.

I saw the news, and more anger came to me when Hector appeared, being awarded for having helped with an EH foundation and contributing to excellent studies regarding us, our bodies, and genetics. He had supposedly been shown not to be involved in Evolved people's abuse. They claimed to have put an end to the arrests, and they claimed to be ushering in an era of peace. However, they were still looking for the rebel group of infiltrator-evolved men who, without reason, captured one of his colleagues. The police were looking for us.

"With this, General Orlandini assures us and shows that the National Security Guard does not have to disappear. After all, the Evolved humans should always be watched."

"Wow. This could be a problem," George assured.

I felt disgusted. Another pencil broke, and I growled again.

"Hey. I'm not buying more of those," Max complained.

I didn't lack the desire to take them all and break them.

"I suspect what's wrong with him," Alpha whispered.

My comrades were watching me. I stood up.

"I need air."

"No. You need a good night of action," Max muttered.

I arched an eyebrow. Neither of us seemed to understand, but I didn't care. I needed to go out and run nonstop to get rid of the annoyance, the spite that I felt for no reason, the impotence.

I went out, and such was my surprise to detect Rosy's sweet scent that I ran in her direction, almost desperate. I suddenly entered an office and ran into a soldier.

"Oh. If you're looking for Rosy, she already left..."

I cursed as I ran again, guided by that scent already feeding me. How would I make it if I couldn't spend even one day with the idea of not seeing her anymore?

I stopped near the exit. Disappointment, desolation. She had already left in one of those cars they had here for sure...

I reacted when I saw her pass by my side. My heart jumped. She looked at me out of the corner of her eye, saddened almost imperceptibly, and quickened her pace.

"Rosy. Rosy, wait," I begged, wanting to stop her.

At the same time, my whole being begged me to apologize and hold her against me.

"I just came to say goodbye. I have to go," she said, trying to evade me.

I froze.

"Going where?"

She looked down for a few seconds.

"They gave me half a scholarship to study for a master's degree. It's a big thing, you know? It opens up more opportunities for me. It's not in this city, of course."