Chapter 57 - Together

SHAWN

Shawn's scream echoed throughout the store. He couldn't believe his own eyes, it had to be a nightmare, it couldn't be true that Rosaly had rolled down the stairs without him being able to do anything to protect her from falling. He had tried to warn her when he saw a figure behind her that flashed like lightning against light, but it hadn't been fast enough for Shawn not to see its green eyes, and its sneering smile on an almost inhuman, but not unknown face, for Shawn had recognized it from the pictures his detectives had sent. Caio Vieira was nearby, and Shawn had been a fool not to have thought about the possibility of him meeting Rosaly, even though she was in another country. But to his real horror, that was what had actually happened, and now she lay unconscious at his feet.

He ran to her as he dialed the emergency number, his fingers trembled as he dialed, and he missed several times because of nervousness, and because her eyes were blurred, and as he ran his hands over them he realized that she was crying. It was necessary for the operator to take the cell phone from her hands and talk to the hospital receptionist, explaining who was calling and the gravity of the situation.

Meanwhile, Shawn was by Rosaly's side, stroking her pale face and talking to her softly as if she could hear him, and thereby feel encouraged to keep fighting for her life. At that moment, Shawn's state of despair was immense, he was fighting his growing anxiety, and his mental sanity that threatened to collapse from seeing her again in a dangerous situation, only now it was three times worse than before, because two lives were at stake and not just one.

Rosaly would have to be strong for herself and the baby, and it was something Shawn didn't consider fair, but there was nothing he could do to help her in that battle, except to stand by her side and pray that she would be okay.

- Baby, please hang in there. I'm here and I'm not leaving you, and I swear I'm going to make whoever did this to you pay. - He said as he nervously waited for the ambulance to arrive. What was taking them so long? He wanted to pick her up and take her to the nearest hospital, but he knew he couldn't do that, it could be dangerous for Rosaly and the baby.

Shawn felt the hatred come over him in the same proportion as his despair, and he wrung his hands together in his nervousness, and couldn't breathe properly, feeling suffocated. He closed his eyes, searching for the least bit of calm he could find, and remembered some relaxation exercises Rosaly had taught him. He needed to maintain his serenity, for that was what Rosaly needed right now. He remained like this for a second, and then he opened his eyes and held her hand as if he could lend her his strength.

When the ambulance arrived, it found him like this, and it was difficult to separate him from her. As soon as they placed her on the stretcher, Shawn saw a trickle of blood running down her legs, and automatically thought of the baby. Rosaly couldn't lose him, she would be devastated. This being that was barely noticeable in her womb was already so loved by both of them. It was not possible that fate, after having given her this joy, was taking it back. He could not accept this. Rosaly had suffered enough and didn't deserve to be the bearer of any more of that pain.

Shawn followed Rosaly to the ambulance, kissed her on the forehead, and his eyes watered again when the door was closed and the nurses wouldn't let him go with her, because his psychological state was so desperate that it would do more harm than good to the patient. He made his way to the hospital, and sent a message to Brian explaining briefly what had happened, asking him to meet him there.

When he arrived at the hospital, Rosaly had already been taken to the emergency room, and Shawn was left to wait. He was terrible at this kind of thing, because thousands of thoughts hit him at the same time, he became restless, his hands sweated cold, and his heart beat at a rapid pace. Shawn stared at the white walls in front of him trying to find in them the answers to this insanity.