Chapter 1: Back at square one

Scarlett's POV

I woke up to police car sirens outside and red and blue flashing lights filling my room. I got up from the moldy mattress, which replaced a bed, and carefully opened my door, trying not to wake up my little sister. 

I poked my head out into the hallway, but couldn't see anything so I decided to carefully sneak towards the front door. I could see my foster father standing at the door, only wearing a pair of sweatpants, his beer belly already covering the elastic, talking to a police officer.

 I crouched down next to the railing and tried to listen in on their conversation, to no avail. They were talking, but I couldn't quite understand what they were saying, and it was too dark to read the officer's lips. 

Just then, the officer spotted me, which made me panic. I didn't quite know what to do, so I got up and ran back into my room, accidentally slamming the door shut, knowing I would probably get a beating for it later. 

The slamming of the door woke up my little sister and once she realized the lights and the sirens, tears started rolling down her face. I quickly sat down next to her, embracing her in a comforting hug and stroking her hair.

Me: "Shh, it's okay. Everything will be okay", I tried to comfort her.

This wasn't the first time we had woken up to police car sirens, but it sure isn't something you get used to quickly. We've kind of always had the luck to be put in bad foster homes and every time we've just been rescued from one, we've been thrown straight into the next house of horrors.

I always try not to get my hopes up but for some reason this time I had a feeling it would be different. We would either go back to a group home or we'd be thrown into a new foster family, but this time I had a spark of hope. All I wanted was for my sister to be safe for once. For her to find some happiness.

I looked down at her, being met with big brown teary eyes: "Tutto meglio?" (all better?)

She nodded but quickly nuzzled her head back into my chest, once we heard footsteps coming our way. My heart started beating faster and faster, and my grip on my little sister tightened, in fear of what would happen next.

Once the footsteps got closer, I held my breath, only to release it seconds later after seeing a strange woman opened the door.

I let out a sigh of relief and loosened my grip on my sister.

Woman: "Hi, hello. My name is Vic. Can I ask what your name is? "

Me: "Scarlett...", I hesitated.

The woman tried to come closer but immediately stopped after noticing how frightened we were.

Vic: "Hey it's okay. We're here to help. I am a firefighter."

I frowned: "Why are you here then? I mean aren't firefighters supposed to...put out fires", I asked trying not to sound rude.

Vic chuckled: "Yeah well we do that too. But we also have this thing called crisis one. Your neighbors called saying that there was some shouting and that they were concerned. After your father didn't want to cooperate and started to become a little mean we had to call the police."

Me: "He's not our father", I exclaimed.

Vic: "Oh okay. Well, would you be willing to come outside with me? So I can check you for any injuries?"

I took a deep breath, looking down at my sister.

Me: "Va bene. Ti proteggerò" (it's okay. I'll protect you), I reassured her.

We slowly got up and followed Vic outside. Leaving the house we could see that our foster parents were being put in the back of a police car. I guided my sister to my other side, in the hopes of making her feel a little more secure, and we followed Vic to the aid car.

Vic: "So, what's your name little one", she asked, gesturing us to sit down.

Little sister: "Alice", she said in a quiet voice.

While Vic was checking Ali, I noticed that I forgot something inside.

Me: "Be right back", I said, before running back into the house.

I ran upstairs, into our room, and grabbed my sister's stuffed animal. I then reached under the mattress, to grab my sketchbook and stuffed both into a little backpack, along with my bottle. I then ran back outside and handed my sister her stuffed Koala teddy.

Alice: "Snuggles", she exclaimed excitedly.

I gave her a warm smile: "I couldn't leave snuggles behind."

Vic: "Okay so Alice, you are pretty much good to go. Now I just need to check on your sister and then we'll be done."

Me: "Oh no, I'm fine I promise."

Vic: "It wouldn't hurt to get checked", she tried to convince me.

Me: "Oh no really, I'm fine", I reassured her.

I mean, of course, I wasn't fine. But I don't need more people seeing my body and touching me here and there, so no thanks, I'm fine.

Vic gave up and started packing up her things, while Alice and I waited at the curb.

Alice: "What's going to happen now Tina", she looked at me with sorrow in her eyes.

I sighed: "I don't know. But you'll be okay. I will always protect you", I said as she laid her head on my shoulder.

About 10 minutes passed, and the woman that was talking to Vic and her co-worker then came over to us and crouched down in front of us.

Woman: "Hi, my name is Cara. I work with CPS and am going to take you to a safer place to stay for now okay?"

I reassured Alice with a nod, and we both got up and followed the woman to her car. Before getting in, I took another glance over at Vic and gave her a thanking smile.

I got in the car and we drove off.

This was it. Another failed attempt at finding a safe place to stay.

I looked over at Alice, who was fast asleep on my shoulder, and then back out the window and into the starry sky. Maybe, just maybe, next time it will be different.