T H R E E

Some people abuse alcohol, others abuse drugs. Most people are addicted to something; even the cup of coffee you enjoy or that cup of tea contains caffeine, perhaps a spoonful of sugar as well. Stop consuming that beautifully sweet concoction for a day or two, and notice the withdrawal effects. Headaches, irritability, and anxiety start to set in. And that's just effects that come to my mind, I assume it also depends on how much you consume. So why would those be legal drugs? Why can't microdosing on LSD be legal? Just as caffeine can be a useful stimulant, many entrepreneurs claim to have had success and inspiration this way.

As I'm walking through the quiet streets of my humble little town, I notice that everyone is glued to their phones. Hell, even I am. I just happened to look up in all honesty, to make sure I'm still heading in the right direction, and to check occasionally if there are any new obstacles that weren't there the previous time I walked down this alley. There's this couple a little further down, both of them with their eyes practically attached to their screens. What even is the point of going for a walk together if you're not actually going to be together, living in the moment? I wouldn't even be surprised if they texted each other instead of talking, or tagged each other in funny posts instead of actually showing each other the video or picture. Instead of laughing with each other and talking about it, send an emoji in response or a simple "LOL", without actually cracking the slightest smile.

Getting a like on your new post or comment on your status is like giving crack to a crack-addict. A rush of endorphins from your pituitary gland gets released immediately into your bloodstream, making you feel all nice and proud about your post. We value strangers' approval more than our own self-approval, so much, that often we end up deleting that one controversial comment that didn't come across the way we wanted it, or got too much negative traction, to protect our online personas. Maybe that selfie you posted didn't get as many likes as the last one. I should delete that, you think to yourself. You question your appearance, maybe you didn't edit it enough. Maybe you should show more cleavage next time. Or lose some more weight, that dress wasn't flattering at all.

Imagine what the world would become if all internet communications were to be cut off. People would be so awkward, they wouldn't know how to actually connect. You'd actually have to meet people, you wouldn't be able to just swipe left and right in order to strike up a conversation. Cheesy pick-up lines or creepy one-liners probably won't work so well, if one isn't hidden behind a screen in the comfort of their home.

But once again, I'm rambling. I've reached my house's front door and am looking for the keys, rummaging through my pockets. I swear I had them in my pocket, maybe in my bag? As I'm about to put my bag down to get a better look, Mother opens the door. She looks... Calmer. Happier than before. She even cracks a small smile as she welcomes me inside. I guess I dodged a bullet with her, perhaps dinner wasn't going to be awkward. She even changed her clothes and did her makeup, which was odd, in all fairness. But anything but shouting was good for me.

"Get in, it's cold, honey." She says, offering to take my bag. I hand her the backpack and take my coat off, hanging it on the coat rack next to the entrance, along with hers and some mismatched scarves. Although there is one jacket, a long trench coat, which I do not recognise. Perhaps she went shopping?

"Thanks. Did you get a new coat?" I ask, curiously. It seemed a little big, but maybe she decided to join the oversized-fashion trend. I noticed that the house smelled of lasagna and garlic, presumably garlic bread. A match made in heaven, carbs with more carbs.

"About that," followed by a brief pause and nervous laugh, "that's Tom's jacket. I've decided it's finally time for you to meet him." She grabs my arm and whispers in my ear, "Be nice to him, he's got a lot to offer to this family and I don't want you messing this chance up. If we play our cards right, you might even get to go on vacation this summer."