Chapter 60: "Introspection"

En başından başla

You dash into the bathroom, and quickly take your morning shower. Once done, you dry off, step out, get dressed, fix your hair, and dash into the kitchen. Looking over into the living room, Maia is on her phone, mumbling into it on a call.

After opening the fridge, you can't help but pause to listen to her speak. She is speaking quietly, so you can only understand a few words here and there.

Here are some of them as followed:

"tired"

"can't"

"so sweet"

"never come back"

"a death"

You bit your lip, grabbing onto a muffin stashed on the first shelf of your fridge. What could be happening? Did someone in her family die?

You frowned, quickly fixed yourself some water, and then turned to look at her. She seems teary-eyed, but her voice is less sad and more desperate. Whatever this phone call is about, it's pretty serious. So you take a bite of your muffin, then slowly creep closer to the doorframe. Maybe you can get some more clues as to what's going on?

As you stood at the opening of the living area, you were able to pick up a few more words, just a bit louder than last time.

"family"

"uncertain"

"utter mess"

You quirked an eyebrow. What the absolute hell is going on?

You frowned as you watched tears flow down her cheeks. Whatever news this is must not be good in the slightest.

She looked up, her green gaze meeting your own (e/c) eyes and she quickly turned back around, whispering into her cellphone.

Though uncertain, you are pretty sure that Maia had uttered the words "Oh, I've gotta go. I'll call you back in a few." before turning back around, smiling innocently as if her face isn't littered with tear stains.

"Maia, is everything okay?" You asked softly, stepping forward.

She sniffled, then shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. "I guess."

"Did-" You started, but she held up her hand.

"I mean this in the most polite way possible, but I don't really wanna discuss it right now, alright?" Her tone came off as sharp-acting like a crescendo.

You bit your lip, your heart aching for her. You have no idea what's happened, but she seems devastated. This is truly the last thing that Maia needs when she is already forcibly being separated from her friends and Sans.

"That's okay, I understand. I'll leave you be, alright?" You smile gently.

She lowers her head. "Thank you, I just need some space to think." She lets out a deep breath.

"That's goddamn Gucci gang for real, my fuckin' man." You reply.

She blinks, then rolls over laughing, causing you to shoot her finger guns.

Man, what is your brain? It's like it is purely running on 3 Redbulls and memes this early in the morning.

"I had to make you laugh, it's kinda my job." You shrug nonchalantly, laughing as you walk to the front door.

"I hate you."

"No you don't, Maia. You did once tell me that I am your platonic soulmate, after all."

"Oooh scandalous~! I nearly forgot!" She grinned.

"Okay, I've gotta head out, but if you need me, you know where to find me." You offer a sweet smile, to which she salutes to in reply.