narrative

2 weeks later:

A loud, muffled noise made Florence snap out of her thoughts. It came from the front door, which hadn't been moved in the past few days. Accordingly, no one in the house had gone outside lately.

It wasn't a surprise after what had happened that day, two weeks earlier. Florence still couldn't believe how her own brother had started dating her closest friend, the one she has feelings for herself.
After her chat with Elizabeth, the young singer was even more anguished than before, her last message still echoing through her mind all too well.

"He actually asked me out."

She thought a lot about what the actress wanted to say with that sentence. Could it be that Lizzie also liked Florence and had secretly hoped that she'd ask her out?

In the end, it was simply a matter of emphasis. Depending on which word you stress, the complete meaning of the sentence changes. If you puts the emphasis on the "He", then you'd find the meaning that Florence had just come up with. However, if you stress the "me", the sentence takes on a different meaning. In that case, it could just be that Elizabeth was glad someone had asked her out.

Of course, from an outside point of view this debate seems ridiculous, as it is crystal clear how that message is meant to be interpreted. However, being part of the story, it isn't always as easy.

Not knowing how to answer or react, Florence spent the last few days in the safe walls of her house, leaving her room only for the essentials. She had not seen her brother since that day, although he had only recently moved back in. Like Elizabeth, Nick had left numerous messages on her phone. At first, the brunette had checked them, but now she had no motivation to read the same phrases over and over again.
The house stayed silent the whole time, so Nick seemed to be staying with someone else. Probably with his girlfriend, Flo thought moodily, but the stabbing feeling in her stomach at the thought of the two of them in the same bed was undeniable.

She wondered what they were up to right at this moment. Were they laughing under the big blanket that Florence and Lizzie had shared all too often? Or did they cuddle closely together while Lizzie sang the complete "Lion King" soundtrack? Maybe they also spent a great time in the garden and planted new vegetables?

No, Nick wouldn't enjoy the last one. He was like Florence in that matter, so he was probably swimming in the pool while watching Lizzie do her thing in the garden. The singer had always loved seeing the blonde gush about her plants and worms. Nobody's in such a good mood when they're busy digging up dirt all day, but her.

Florence felt the sadness come up again, so she quickly discarded those thoughts and shook her head to clear it. That's when she was brought back to reality by the loud noise, coming from the door.

Several possible names who might've been responsible for this unannounced visit circled through her thoughts. But she didn't have enough time to think about it, before she could hear a rustle in the door lock. Shit! Was it Nick who decided to come home again?

"Flo?", a voice shouted out as the person entered the house and the singer immediately let out a sigh.

"Thank god, it's just you Cam." She had given both of her best friends, Isabella and Cameron, a key to her house years ago. Normally they didn't need to use it, but this situation called for it.

Her friend put down his coat and then let himself fall onto the couch. "What do you mean, just me? Who did you expect?"

"I thought you were my brother, but I'm much happier it's you.", she explained, her voice not really matching her words. Happiness was definitely not the general mood in the room.

"Talking about the devil, have you seen either of them since or texted them?", he genuinely wanted to know.

I shook my head and fell next to him on the couch. "Not after the initial reaction, no."

Cam nodded shortly before continuing his questioning. "And did they try to contact you again after that?"

"At first, yes. But the last days I haven't heard from either one of them. Maybe they decided that they have done enough now and can just go one with their lives now. They don't need me anymore.", she stated and glanced at Cam with teary eyes at the end.

"I can't imagine that either of them would do anything like that, Flo.", her friend tried to comfort her. "They both love you."

"It seems like they love each other more than me, if they can keep this from me.", her tone was growing more and more frustrated.

Cameron stayed quiet for a while, wondering how to go about the next question. "Are you actually that sad, because they didn't tell you they're dating?.. Or is there maybe something else that is the reason for the wreck that you are right now? Would you have reacted the same way if it were Nick and Isabella?"

Florence shot him a quick glance and could see the genuineness in his eyes. Of course, her best friend knew exactly what had been the ulterior reason for her grief. She had already told him and Isabella that she had feelings for the actress. "Of course not, no. I'm disappointed they didn't tell me, sure. But.."

"But it's about her.", he finished the sentence.

"Yes.", she swallowed and looked back up at him. "Everything in my head is about her and it has been for months."

Tears were now streaming down her face and Cameron carefully wiped them away. He knew that Flo had feelings for the famous actress before, but seeing her in this heartbroken state was something completely new for him as well. Florence had always been the tough one in their little friend group, the one who was always laughing and trying to get everyone else to laugh. He never would've imagined her being so sad about someone. Even after breaking up with Rachel, her longtime girlfriend, the singer wasn't half as unhappy as now. And this time she wasn't even together with the other woman in the first place.

"I knew she was special to you the first time I saw you two together at your birthday", Cameron started talking in a sweet tone.

Florence remembered the day like it was yesterday. Her best friends had secretly invited the actress who then turned up at her party. Of course, that was when she was still with Rachel who behaved like a literal bitch that day, and caused the other two to fight.

"Do you think that you are able to completely shut her out of your life from now on? If that is even what you want?" her friend asked calmly while keeping eye contact.

This was something the singer has asked herself a lot over the past two weeks. Was she willing to forgive the two of them for not telling her they were together? Probably yes.
It was like Cam said, had it been a different friend she would've probably not even been that mad about it.
But would she be able to stay in their life and see the two of them regularly? She wasn't so sure.

The thought alone of sitting next to the pair at lunch, watching their intertwined fingers or seeing them stealing kisses made her sick.

It wouldn't be fair for either of them. For Nick, because she would be secretly lusting after his girlfriend, for Lizzie, because she would be hiding her feelings for the actress and for herself, because she would contain her own happiness for their sake.

So yes, in order to ensure everyone's happiness, she had to exclude herself from the narrative.

***

Hey friends, sorry for not posting on here in forever!

This is not much, but I thought better a short chapter than nothing at all XD

Also I just saw Hamilton live and it was incredible!! Any fans here?