Part 2

Enyo decided to give him his space but she continued to watch him from afar.  After a day or so, Jacob eventually snapped out of his slump and invited Vanessa over. He kept his powers a secret.  Telling Vanessa, the whole demi- god story, was just out of the question. Besides he wasn’t sure how he felt about his power. How could he expect her to understand? They continued were they left off a few days earlier the bar. At the time, Vanessa didn't have clear answer but sure had one now. It took her a moment, to cycle through her feelings. But she knew Jacob had changed, and no matter the reason she wanted to be a part of it. After she gave him and true and sincere yes, Vanessa stayed a while, and tried to get to the bottom of the change in him. Vanessa sat on the sofa next to him.

Jacob gave her a sideways glance. “Why are looking at me like that?” asked Jacob.

Vanessa smiled, ‘You’re different,” she said. “I can’t put my finger on it but Jacob you’ve changed.”

Vanessa was right he had changed. He was killer, but that wasn’t what concerned him. The fact that he had started to accept it scared him.

“ I admit it I have,” said Jacob. “After, I almost died at the hospital I had an epiphany.  Life is just too short, you know.”

 Vanessa flashed a pretentious smile. Honestly, she wanted a different answer from him. Then in that Jacob, fashion he didn’t disappoint.

“You’re the other reason,” said Jacob. “You have always been there.”

Vanessa pretentious smile faded and she a satisfied smirked. She had gotten the answer she wanted. Vanessa cared a lot for Jacob even loved him, a little. She wanted to make sure his head was in the right place before she dove any deeper.

Afterwards they started dating more regularly. Days came and went. For the first time in years, Jacob was happy.

One day when Vanessa came over to his apartment out of the blue Jacob handed her a duffel bag filled of cash. She knew Jacob was aware of her financial problems, but cash was the last thing she expected.  Of course, he couldn’t tell her where he got the money, but he didn’t want to lie to her either. So, he weaved a tale of a long lost family member and ill-gotten grains. After the initial shock, Vanessa graciously refused the money. Jacob wasn’t surprised he expected nothing less.  Vanessa had always been the independent sort. After she left, he thought of a way to get her to accept the money.  Later that afternoon, he went to the bar before it opened and invited Vanessa out on a date.

She agreed to a rare Sunday meeting. It’s wasn’t often that she closed her bar, so she must have thought it was important.  When Sunday came around Jacob took Vanessa to a nice restaurant.  After they enjoyed a wonderful meal, Jacob asked her to let him invest in her bar.  Vanessa knew what he tried to do, but she wasn’t the type to admit she needed saving. She refused his investment and offered him a partnership instead. Of course, he accepted and their relationship became increasingly more serious. Eventually, she helped him look for a more fitting apartment. Enyo saw that her son was finally happy so she decided it was time for him to meet his father.  As Vanessa worked at the bar, Jacob continued to pack and move into their new place. One day as he packed Enyo appeared.  

“Hello Jacob,” said Enyo. “You seem happy.”     

“ I’m dealing,” said Jacob.

“Of course you are,” said Enyo. “I have to say, I wasn’t completely forthcoming with the information about your father.”  

Jacob was befuddled, “What do you mean?” 

“He is very much alive,” said Enyo. 

Jacob eyes widen, “I don’t understand why you would lie to me?” he stammered.