Chapter One

The smell of freshly brewed coffee filled my senses. Grumbling to myself as I got dressed, I opened my door and made my way towards the heavenly smell.

"It's about time you're awake."

Jumping slightly, I was startled by the sound of my roommate, sitting at the kitchen island, that I hadn't even noticed was sitting reading the newspaper.

"Morning to you too, Evie." I grumbled pouring myself some coffee, before leaning against the nearest counter.

Checking her wrist, where a watch would normally find home, she glanced up at me. "Aren't you, I don't know, late for something?"

Her early morning banter made me grumble more to myself. "Aren't you, I don't know, a little too cheery this morning?" I fired back with narrowed eyes.

"I see the bitchiness has already set in." She giggled. "That's a new record for you."

Rolling my eyes, I flipped her off as I made my way to the foyer. Grabbing my bag, I slipped my feet into my favorite pair of slides.

"See ya buttercup!"

I hear Evie shout from the kitchen before shutting the door. Letting out a heavy sigh, I shot back some coffee as I waited for the elevator. The uber ride to the bakery was quiet and relaxing. Easily settling any nerves that attempted to build up.

Reaching the bakery, I quickly rated the driver five stars. The ride was silent save for Rihana on the radio. Just how I like it.

Digging around in my purse for my keys, I smelt the familiar scent of sandalwood with a hint of vanilla. I knew who was behind me before I even turned around.

"Fancy seeing you here, Amelia Livingston." His deep voice, rocking me to my core. Something I'd never admit and feed his ego.

"Fuck off, Ethan."

Leaning against the doorway, he flashed me his infamous smile. His teeth so white, they nearly blind me. "There's the warm greeting I always look forward to."

Oh Shit.

Ethan Callaway. Six foot One, wavy black hair that barely reaches his shoulders, with piercing blue eyes. The way he looks at me, sends shivers down my spine, causing the hairs on my arms to stand at attention.

Huffing, I tried to find the key to the bakery faster. Anytime spent with Ethan, was too much.

"Don't you have some barbie to be railing and not at my bakery?" I snide.

He let out a hearty laugh. "One of these days, Amelia, I'll be railing you."

His voice dropped octaves lower, sending my stomach into a swirl of flutter. 

"In your dreams, Callaway." I let out a frustrated huff. "Shouldn't you be at your girlfriends bakery, annoying her?"

Ethan's face turned into stone. Something I have rarely seen him do, I hate to admit that I know that. "She's not my girl." He clenched his jaw, momentarily bringing my attention to him. Feelings that I should definitely not be feeling for him, begin to bubble.

"Right." I snort, bringing my attention back to my keys. Finding the right One, I scurry inside, with Ethan hot on my heels.

"I wouldn't lie to you, Amelia."

Butterflies fluttered in my stomach, while my cheeks betrayed me and heated slightly at his confession. Clearing my throat, I gave him a stiff nod. Racing behind the counter, I began going through the motions of opening, when in reality I was still stunned.

"Is there something I can help you with or-"

"One of your infamous cinnamon rolls and coffee."

"Black." We say at the same time. 

Opening and closing my mouth, I don't dare give him a glance. Clenching my mouth shut, I nodded once again. Without uttering another word, I began turning the lights on, while preheating the ovens. Turning on the coffee makers, his coffee was ready in no time. Flipping the sign to 'Open', I made my way back to the kitchen.

The bell above the door sounded through the bakery, as light footsteps echoed through.

"Hey, sorry I'm late."

Offering her a kind smile, I nodded. "It's alright Katie, I figured you'd be late. You're not exactly the most punctual person I know."

We both let out a giggle.

"What's with Kylo Ren, out there?" She questions quietly.

I rolled my eyes, giving her a shrug. "As if I know. His girlfriend owns the bakery across town, he should be there."

Katie snapped her head in my direction as I put the cinnamon rolls in the oven. "I thought she wasn't his girlfriend?"

I snorted. "How can she not be?"

Katie nodded. "You're right, her daddy probably pays him to be her boyfriend."

Silence fell between us, before we both cackle with laughter.