12. Catharsis Point

Sehyuk has watched two short animes and three movies in a span of two days

Sehyuk has watched two short animes and three movies in a span of two days. He's been restless and watching has been something to distract him. But it's glaringly obvious as he keeps zoning out in the middle of the movie. One call from Kim Gyeom and the bitter feeling Sehyuk had buried, rose without a warning.

"I didn't want to tell you this but since you'll know it anyway I have to. Your replacement is none other than Kang Kihyun." Gyeom had said with a click of his tongue. "The captains shot me down when I opposed that anyone could take your place but him. I'm sorry."

"It's alright," Sehyuk had sighed. "But thank you for doing that." He smiled genuinely and wished Gyeom the best of luck. But the smile died down as soon as he hung up.

Now Sehyuk sits uncomfortably in his wheelchair, fingers tapping over his basketball shorts that barely cover his knees. The football match with the other university is probably going on right now and he doesn't know what he's supposed to feel. Should he root for his mates to win since that's what he's supposed to do or wish they lose because he's wanted to be a part of the match for months.

The ding of his doorbell shakes him out of his thoughts. The blond boy wheels to the door and opens it.

"Delivery from Adidas for Min Sehyuk?" A man in blue overalls asks, looking at the name on his tablet and then at Sehyuk.

"Yes, that's me." He takes the package from the man and signs it off, bidding the guy farewell.

Sehyuk's mobile phone vibrates incessantly, notifications flooding in. He taps one of them, opening a trail of messages in the football group chat, congratulating everyone accompanied by dozens of emojis. He maneuvers his wheelchair towards the living room, still looking at the chat. The blond smiles but it's a bittersweet feeling. Undoubtedly he's happy for them, truly. He taps on the group photo. Every player has a medal around their neck, the captain holding the trophy in the middle. But his eyes zoom in on one face. Kang Kihyun.

Sehyuk has never seen the older grin this wide ever. He's always sporting a well-versed scowl or looking down on him. But here he holds up a peace sign with his fingers, leaning a bit down and arm wounded around Wonho.

His fingers grip his mobile phone tightly, teeth grazing together. 'That should've been me.' The thought comes without a warning and the frustration he's been holding cracks. He looks up and he's in front of the shelf beside the plasma T.V., the one showcasing rows of trophies and medals he won over the years. Running, relays, obstacles, shot-put, and others. His parents had sent these achievements over so he could feel proud of what he's accomplished. But now the trophies mock him from where they stand. Sehyuk reaches as far as his hand can, sweeping the golden cups with anger, the articles falling to the floor with loud clanks, and two of the glass trophies breaking into pieces as they collide and crash.

"It's over!" He yells, hand reaching for the lower rows. "I'm a cripple and there's nothing I can't do about it!"

He glares at his legs and folds himself, fisted palms pounding against his bare shin. "Just start moving, damn it!" He howls as he picks a piece of the broken glass trophy from the ground and pokes it at his flesh, not once but repeatedly. "Feel something!" He cries as the shard breaks through his skin and a streak of blood rolls down just as his tears do over his cheeks. "I'm sorry! I really am!"