Chapter Three: Confrontations and Preparations

Start from the beginning

When her father had questioned her about Travis, Sophia could only tell him what she knew about him which was next to nothing.

     Well, not precisely next to nothing; He has two small children. He runs his own cattle ranch. I also know that he must have some moral aptitude because he sent funds to cover my travel expenses and he is saying we will be promptly wed upon my arrival.

That was the point of the conversation where her Father started to become livid. Sophia had tried to defend her actions by pointing out that it was fairly common for women her age to be married off to men they did not know as arranged marriages happened all the time.

She knew her argument was weak. She also knew that her father was so upset because deep down he was worried for her safety. It was because he loved her that he was so angry right now. She honestly didn't mean to make everyone so upset. She felt like this was the perfect opportunity to announce her news since Rachel and Joseph were there to have breakfast. Time was quickly running out before she would be leaving which was exactly one week from today.

     "Sophia Ann Lancaster, I demand a better explanation from you! This instant!" Louis screamed from the top of his lungs. His face was an even more alarming shade of reddish-purple. He looked downright scary.

Even though she was still experiencing that bothersome pain, Sophia begrudgingly picked her head up from the table while subtly shaking it from side to side to help get rid of the sudden dizzy spell that had come over her. She barely had a chance to eat her breakfast, so her stomach was not only in pain but she was positively famished!

      If I had been smarter, I would have given everyone the chance to finish breaking their fast before making my big announcement. Lesson learned.

Louis paced the room, all the while glaring dangerously at his eldest daughter as he waited for the explanation that he'd been demanding. Emotions were running high for everyone in that dining room; each one of them expressing it in different ways.

Except, of course, for her father who was being uncharacteristically volatile. It took a moment for Sophia to finish composing herself.

     "Father," She began in a tremulous voice, "I didn't mean to upset you or anyone else for that matter. Please allow me explain without interruption."

     "Oh you will be giving me an explanation young lady!"

As more tears began to form in Sophia's eyes and her lips took on a noticeable quiver, Louis seemed to soften his demeanor. Sophia knew that female tears were his weakness, so she shamelessly used the only tactic she knew would work on him. That particular strategy had always worked for the Lancaster women in the past when they wanted to get their way with something.

But her tears weren't just for show this time. She was equally upset from hurting her family with the news and from the persistent pain in her lower abdomen that had been plaguing her for a few weeks now.

     "Father, please sit down. You're scaring me."

Louis huffed and puffed before he finally picked his chair up from the floor and sat back down.

     "Like I have already said, I saw an advertisement in the Wellington Enterprise a few weeks ago from a gentleman seeking a mail-order bride. He's wanting a woman to marry who would help raise his two children and run his household. He runs his own cattle ranch in Texas. I absolutely cannot bear the thought of remaining here in this town while Jeremy and his new wife are also here as a constant reminder of what he did to me. I need to do this! You have no idea what his betrayal towards me feels like! Father, with this arrangement, I will be getting exactly as I have always wanted. A husband and children."