Chapter Three: Confrontations and Preparations

     "You're doing what?!?" Louis roared as his face turned a mottled shade of reddish-purple. There was a large blue vein at his left temple that bulged out and Sophia could see it throbbing to the beat of his heart, which was quite obviously racing a mile-a-minute.

     This is not how I wanted this conversation to go. Hells fire, why can't he just hear what I am saying and consider how I am feeling?

She hated disappointing her parents and had rarely done so in all of her twenty-two years of life. She knew her family would not take this news well at all, but this was actually worse than she had imagined. Normally her father kept his temper somewhat under control, but in this moment he was the angriest she had ever seen him.

     "I am so sorry Father, but my mind is made up on this matter. I am going. Please don't be upset with me. I cannot bear it!"

Lucinda sat ramrod straight in her dining chair as she scraped her fork around her plate of barely eaten food. She was trying hard to not lose control of her feelings like Louis was doing. Rachel and Joseph were both in companionable states of shock themselves. Louis suddenly stood up from the table with such force that his chair toppled over behind him as it crashed into the wall behind him.

     "What in the hell do you mean you're getting married?" he screamed. "I didn't raise either of my daughters so be so damned foolish! Where is your common sense?"

Rachel and Lucinda finally burst into tears. Joseph walked over to where Rachel was sitting and began to lightly rub his hand up and down her back, knowing from past experience that it soothed her whenever she became upset. Rachel was already hormonal due to her new pregnancy and it didn't take much to make her cry these days, but this was a situation where her tears were actually warranted.

     "I'm to be a mail-order bride just as I have already explained. I hardly feel as if I am being foolish. I have given this matter much thought and it is what I feel is best for me."

The intermittent pain in Sophia's lower abdomen had picked this opportunity to return. Sophia crossed her arms and then laid her head on them in order to conceal the pain from her family. To everyone in the room it appeared as though she was just upset after having just shared her future plans a few minutes ago.

Sophia had been completely honest with them about everything; from how she read and responded to the advertisement, and how she received the letter from Travis Ewing stating that he had picked her as his mail-order bride. She shared with them her feelings over the whole ordeal that had happened with Jeremy's confession weeks ago, emphasizing the fact that she was miserable being here knowing that she could run into Jeremy at any given point. Escape was the only way out from having her heart torn asunder.