Chapter 1

Eda woke up to the sound of beeping machines and the unmistakable smell of the hospital room. She felt someone's hand gripping hers tightly and soft caresses on her forehead and hair.

"Why doesn't she wake up? It was never that long before. Where is the doctor?"

 A somehow familiar voice said in which she could hear a big dose of worry and irritation at the end. Eda heard knocking on the door signaling the arrival of the hospital staff. The strong grip on her hand soften, and the caresses stopped. The unpleasant feeling of emptiness hit her after she felt the absence of those hands on her. It was why Eda finally decided to open her eyes and look around the room.

She was in the same hospital room as before. Melo and Ceren were sitting at the chairs across the room while the doctor with nurse approached her. Next to her bed was standing the man, who she recognized from before she fainted. Well, he was the reason for her fainting to be more precise.

"You're awake." He said in relief.

"Eda Hanim, merhaba again." The doctor got her attention. "When we check you before, we didn't notice any signs of concussion and trauma, but your fainting worried us, so with your permission we would like to perform an additional examination."

"Well about time." The man next to her said.

All Eda could do was nod. The doctor took a small light from his pocket and started the exam. After being happy with her reactions and palpating her head for any signs of pain, the doctor proceeded in with customary questions.

"What is your name?"

"Eda Yildiz."

"Do you know where you are?"

"In hospital."

"The city?"

"Istanbul."

"How old are you?"

"23"

Everything seemed right, but the sudden gasps in the room alarmed the doctor.

"Do you recognize the persons in this room?"

"Well, you're the doctor, but I don't believe I know your name, and here is the nurse. There are sitting my friends Ceren and Melo, and..." Eda hesitated when her eyes rested on the man standing close to her.

"And Eda Hanim?" The doctor encouraged her to speak.

"And this man is Serkan Bolat."

"This man?" Eda heard Melo utter in disbelief.

"Eda Hanim, do you know this man?" The doctor asked.

Eda was almost afraid to look up at the man in question. His eyes went dark, his jaw was clenched and his hands closed in fists. His eyes were in disbelief, like he was waiting to hear the death sentence.

"No, I mean yes. I know who he is. He is a very well-known architect."

"The architect???" Melo screamed again with worry.

"Eda Hanim, what date it is?"

Eda hesitated again and couldn't look the man in the eyes, not knowing why by feeling that what she was about to say will hurt him deeply.

"20th March 2020."

The whole room gasped. Eda looked up. He was standing there frozen, looking at her with shock, but she could see past it, straight to his soul. He was in pain. She felt his pain in her soul.

"Eda Hanim" The doctor's voice broke her from her trance. "The date is 15th March 2021. You were in a car accident, you must hit your head and were unconscious while you were brought here with your fiance. You didn't show any signs of brain trauma that's why we didn't consider checking you for memory loss before. Your CT scan turned up fine, and there is no sign of physical damage. We will perform further examinations, but your memory loss is most likely temporary, and everything should come to you soon..."

The doctor went on with his speech, but Eda lost focus after the second sentence. The word 'fiancee' was drumming in her head. She looked down at her right hand. There it was, a huge beautiful ring in the shape of a flower.

Am I the fiancee of Serkan Bolat?!

* * *

Serkan felt that his world just fell and crashed in thunder. His heart broke in toused pieces. The indifference and coldness of her voice when she uttered his name hit deep in the soul. She described him as this man. He was never some man to her, he was always her man, and the one she always said was the love of her life, her breath, her life, her çok tatlı romantik robot. But now she wont even look him in the eyes. 

All he wanted was to grab her chin and make her look at him, to show her who he was, to scream at the doctor that he was wrong, and Eda didn't lose her memory, that she knew him, and all of this was some kind of bullshit, stupid joke, performed on him by the hospital for his previous misbehaving. But he couldn't move. He was glued to his spot, frozen in anticipation of the worst. 

The sentence he dreaded came sooner than he wished, the date. She thought that it was 2020. She didn't remember the whole year. The year when they meet, fell in love, got engaged, and were about soon to get married. The best year of his life, their life. She didn't remember him!

It was some kind of stupid joke, the nightmare. It couldn't be true. It was too unreal to be true. It was stupid. Certainly, his mind was playing the trick on him in the aftermath of this stupid drug they gave him earlier to sedate him. Maybe he was still under the influence. For sure it was that. He probably didn't even wake up and this all was just a stupid, cruel imagination of his over-worried brain. Just the nightmare.

"Serkan?" He was woken up from his trance by Melo's worried voice. "Serkan, iyi misin? Can I do something for you?"

Why Melo was asking him if he was ok, Eda was the one who wasn't ok. She should be asking her.

He didn't notice that the hospital staff left the room. If they said something he certainly missed it. He didn't notice that Melo and Ceren approached Eda and him, and Eda was sitting now at the edge of the bed looking at him in shock and with something in her eyes that he couldn't quite define. Was she afraid of him? Was she angry? Didn't she want him in this room? He preferred not to put a name on the looks she was giving him, knowing that going through this hole could destroy him.

"Serkan?" He felt Melo put her hands on his arms and started to shake him to make him return to his senses. He did notice that he must have stood in one spot frozen for God knows how long.

"What now?" Ceren asked.

Serkan cleared his throat forcing himself to finally utter a word.

"I don't know."