CHAPTER 3

RITA

The fast food is busy today. Since I didn't go to the clinic I decided to take over the business just for today and ordered my workers to go home early.

They knock off around 19:00 at most times if not 20:00 when we are very busy. I have two workers then a chef and a cashier.

I sell everything modern, traditional and fast food. I should change the name to something else I just don't know what as of yet, but I will soon.

“Today we are served by the owner herself who happens not to know how to fry iskopo and cook amanqina,” Nombuso, my best friend says peeping through the window.

I laugh.

“Oh, please! You know very well that I can cook, and a very delicious meal that will have you licking your fingers. Come on inside and lend a helping hand, friend.”

She laughs moving away from the window. I built myself one big room that's separated in two. On one side I use it as a kitchenette, and the other is where customers sit.

There are also chairs and tables in & outside the yard. I don't stay here though, I've rented the 5-roomed house to my workers.

I only come here from time to time to check on the business.

I need a busy bigger place somewhere in town, or another kasi just as busy as this one. I'm not depending on my salary only.

I have multiple streams of income and some are illegal. As a person you don't have to depend on one salary, the cost of living is too high these days.

Sell something, join network marketing, or better those online surveys, and reviews, where you get paid for walking and other stuff. For example the “salt”.

“So, how can I help?” Nombuso, my best friend asks, washing her hands.

Nombuso & I have been friends since grade 10 in high school till now. We did a lot of things together, some good and some bad.

Nombuso is a married woman who has 3 kids with two different men, and she's a matron at Sunville private hospital.

I'm sure she's here to visit her parents. Just like me, she stays in the neighboring affluent neighborhood.

Her husband is a corrupt official and he's friends with my egotistical uncle who's a minister of resources.

“You can start by peeling the potatoes for me while I get these orders ready.”

“Okay. By the way, aren't you supposed to be at work?” she sits down.

“I was supposed to be, but something urgent came up in the morning, and it couldn't wait. It needed quick attendance.”

“And whatever it was it went well I believe, yes?”

“Yeah. Here to see the parents?”

“Nope, I'm here to see my sister Dana.”

“She's here? And is everything okay with her?” I ask, dishing the pig head on top of a wooden tray.

“She's fine, but not happy. Musa wants to do right and pay lobola for her, but she doesn't want him to because she's in love with someone else and not with Musa.”

“Number 63!” I call out. Putting the tray and two bowls of pap on top of the countertop. Turning to face Nombuso, I ask her. “So, why doesn't she end things with Musa then and continue with the other man?”

“I don't know. I told her to do just that and she snapped at me telling me that I can't tell her what to do because she is a grown woman and knows what she is doing. That time she's one depressed girl, she even has eye bags from all the crying she's been doing.”